Baby corn masala recipe– tasty and flavorful baby corn masala curry made with Indian spices. This mildly spiced, tangy and delicious masala tastes best as side dish with chapathi, naan and jeera rice!
Baby corn masala recipe with step by step pictures and video. Quickly sauteed baby corns tossed in spicy, tangy and flavorful onion tomato masala. This is a semi dry baby corn curry that can be served with chapathi.
Baby corn is a favorite vegetable at our home. I always have it handy to add in fried rice, pulao or in stir fries along with carrot. I have also added recipes for chilli baby corn, baby corn manchurian, baby corn golden fry, baby corn fried rice recipes here.
This baby corn masala is a popular side dish in Tamil nadu restaurants. This masala is a prepared in north Indian style but with simple ingredients. There is no cream or cashew paste in this baby corn curry. You can easily alter the consistency of gravy in this recipe.
Making baby corn masala is easy and quick. If your baby corns are very tender you can use them whole in this recipe. I have sauteed the baby corns briefly before adding to the masala. You can even deep fry or par boil the baby corns before adding to the masala.
This is a low fat baby corn masala recipe. The recipes does not use butter, cream or cashews. I have added some variations that you can do to make this rich and creamy. Please refer below.
Variations With Baby Corn Masala
- To make baby corn gravy you can add 3/4 cup tomato puree and skip chopped tomatoes.
- You can blend 10 cashews in 2 tablespoons milk and add it towards the end for a rich gravy.
- You can also add 2 tablespoons fresh cream to make the gravy creamy
- The same recipe can be made with sweet corn kernels.
Baby corn masala goes well with roti, paratha, naan, jeera rice. You can even use this masala to make masala dosa or as sandwich filling.
How To Make Baby Corn
1. Heat oil in a pan. Add chopped baby corns and saute for 3-4 minutes in medium flame. Remove to a plate.
2. In the same pan add 2 teaspoons oil again. Heat oil and temper with cumin seeds. Add slit green chilies and crushed ginger-garlic. Saute for 2 minutes.
3. Add chopped onions and saute till it turns soft.
4. Add chopped tomatoes and mix.
5. Add tomato puree and mix well.
6. Add spice powders, salt and mix well. Add 1/4 cup water and cook till the masala thickens.
7. Add the sauteed baby corns and toss.
8. Add chopped cilantro leaves, mix and serve hot.
I hope you will try this baby corn masala recipe and enjoy as much as we did. P
Baby Corn Masala Recipe :
Baby Corn Masala Recipe
- 4 teaspoons oil
- 20 baby corns peeled and washed
- 2 green chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed ginger-garlic
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 tomato chopped
- 4 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mango powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
- Heat oil in a pan. Add chopped baby corns and saute for 3-4 minutes in medium flame. Remove to a plate.
- In the same pan add 2 teaspoons oil again. Heat oil and temper with cumin seeds. Add slit green chilies and crushed ginger-garlic. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add chopped onions and saute till it turns soft.
- Add chopped tomatoes and mix.
- Add tomato puree and mix well.
- Add spice powders, salt and mix well. Add 1/4 cup water and cook till the masala thickens.
- Add the sauteed baby corns and toss. Add chopped cilantro leaves, mix and serve hot.