Last updated on January 4th, 2018
Ven pongal recipe with step by step photos. Ven pongal recipe also known as khara pongal is one of the most popular south Indian breakfast recipe. Pongal vada with sambar and chutney is a favorite breakfast combo in popular restaurants like saravana bhavan, ratna cafe in Tamil nadu. It is also the popular prasadam in Vishnu temples.
Ven pongal or khara pongal is one complete meal ideal for growing toddlers and kids. packed with proteins, carbs and good fat from ghee. Pongal is also made as neivedhyam during the Tamil month margazhi, navratri etc.
It is very easy to make ven pongal recipe. You just need 10 minutes to make ven pongal in pressure cooker. But it is a bit tricky to get that right consistency. Khara pongal should be creamy, mushy and melt in mouth. It should not be very watery or very dry. I like pongal very much and this is the authentic ven pongal recipe from our family.
To make ven pongal recipe we need rice and moong dal as main ingredients. The proportions may vary slightly from home to home. I like to use 1:4 for moong dal and rice. You can use normal raw rice we use everyday for making pongal. I have added some milk while mashing the pongal. Milk helps in maintaing the creamy texture in pongal even after cooling.
pongal tastes best with brinjal gotsu. You can also serve pongal with sambar, chutney and a vada. A mini tiffin just like restaurants. If you want to serve a heavier breakfast an idli can also be added to this.
Serve ven pongal hot for best taste.
How to make ven pongal recipe with step by step photos.
Wash and slightly roast the rice and moong dal for 2 minutes in a pressure cooker.
Pressure cook by adding 4 cups of water for 6-7 whistles.
Once the pressure is released, add salt and milk. Mash very well until creamy and smooth.
Heat ghee in a small pan. Add all the tempering ingredients and fry well.
Add to the mashed pongal.
Mix well and serve ven pongal hot with sambar, chutney and gotsu.
Ven pongal recipe card below:
- 1 cup raw rice
- 1/4 cup moong dal slightly dry roasted
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons broken or 10-12 whole cashews
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 3 tablespoons ghee
- Wash and slightly roast the rice and moong dal for 2 minutes in a pressure cooker.
- Pressure cook by adding 4 cups of water for 6-7 whistles.
- Once the pressure is released, add salt and mik. Mash very well until creamy and smooth.
- Heat ghee in a small pan. Add all the tempering ingredients and fry well.
- Add to the mashed pongal.
- Mix well and serve pongal hot with sambar, chutney and gotsu.
1. you can slightly crush the peppercorns and cumin seeds
2. Milk is optional.