Last updated on January 31st, 2020
Tomato chutney recipe for idli, dosa and other south breakfast. Spicy, tangy and absolutely delicious chutney made with ripe plump tomatoes. This tomato chutney recipe is best side dish for all south Indian breakfast like pongal, pesarattu, rava dosa, appam along with idli and dosa. Once you try this chutney I am sure this will be a staple at your home too like ours. Here is my easy tomato chutney recipe with step by step photos for you to try!
There are so many ways to make tomato chutney. This is Ms. Revathi Shanmugam’s recipe that I saw in a TV show. Since then this tomato chutney for idli has been our favorite.
The main attraction of this tomato chutney is the fine onion pieces you get to bite and its deep red color. I have used nice plump red tomatoes and kashmiri red chilies to get the color here.
Making of this tomato chutney is slightly different. Tomatoes are blended with chilies and tomatoes first. Then we saute the puree very well in sesame oil.
This tomato chutney for tastes best also with bread along with south Indian breakfast recipes. We even have this mixed with rice and sesame oil. Best instant meal for us 🙂
You can store this chutney for 2-3 days in fridge. keeps well as we are adding tamarind.
Tomato Chutney Ingredients:
- Tomatoes: To make tomato chutney recipe I always use desi tomatoes that are plump and ripe.
- Tamarind- adding tamarind increases shelf life also deepens the flavor of chutney
- Onions- Finely chopped onions add nice texture and also balances the sourness. You can use shallots or onions.
- Oil- I prefer to use sesame oil for all chutney recipes especially spicy chutneys. Sesame oil balances the heat produced by chilies.
Variations With Tomato Chutney Recipes:
I have listed some tomato chutney recipes with slight variation that was blogged earlier.
- Onion tomato chutney
- tomato chutney for travel
- kara chutney
- peanut tomato chutney
- tomato ginger chutney
- Chili tomato dip
- red chutney
Recipe Notes and Tips:
To make best tomato chutney recipe use red ripe tomatoes.
You can deseed the tomatoes if you prefer
To round the flavors you can add a bit of jaggery in this recipe
This is a spicy chutney with 6 red chilies. You can reduce the number of chilies for mildly spiced chutney
The recipe can be doubled.
Do try out this easy chutney and tell me how you liked it.
More chutney recipes:
- badam chutney,
- carrot chutney.
- coconut chutney
- vegetable chutney
- coriander chutney
- pudina chutney
- peanut chutney
How To Make Tomato Chutney Recipe Step by Step
Grind roughly chopped tomatoes to a smooth paste along with dried red chillies and tamarind.
2. Heat 2 teaspoons sesame oil in a kadai and add mustard seeds and urad dal. Let them crackle.
3. Add curry leaves and saute well.
4. Add the finely chopped onions and garlic cloves if using,saute well till the onion color changes.
5. Now add the pureed tomatoes and mix well. Add salt and mix well. Saute till the tomato puree cooks well.
6. Once the mixture reaches chutney consistency,remove from flame. Serve tomato red chutney with dosa or idli.
Tomato Chutney Recipe
Tomato chutney recipe with tamarind | red tomato chutney recipe
- 3 large tomatoes
- 3-6 dried red chillies
Tempering tomato chutney
- 1 small amla sized ball of tamarind
- 8-10 small onions chopped fine
- 3-4 cloves garlic optional
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- 1 taspoon mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons oil
- Grind the ingredients listed under "to grind" to a smooth puree
- Heat oil in a kadai and temper with mustard and urad dal.
- Add curry leaves and saute well.
- Add onions and garlic cloves and saute well till onion color changes.
- now add the tomato puree,salt and cook well till the tomato puree cooks well.
- Remove from flame and serve tomato chutney with idli or dosa
2. Use red chillies as per your preference.
3. you can grind the tomatoes roughly too to get a chunky texture.