A wonderfully moist and tasty chocolate banana cake recipe that you can make effortlessly. Put those overripe bananas to best use with this cake that you will love. You can throw in a handful of walnuts, pecans or mixed seeds for that added crunch and there you have, best breakfast with tea. Here is how to make perfect chocolate banana cake at home!
Do you love banana breads? We love banana bread at out home and I make it very often. No wonder as there are more than often a couple of bananas lying in the fruit basket that is too ripe to eat such. Along with classic banana bread I also bake these walnut banana cake, muffins, chocolate banana cake or sometime caramelized bananas for quick snack.
Banana Chocolate Cake Recipe
Soft, moist and absolutely delicious
100 % whole wheat flour
Egg and butter free recipe
Vegan if you use dairy free milk like almond milk
With all the goodness of banana and walnuts
Easy one bowl recipe, no beater or mixer required
Last week I had a couple of red bananas that were really ripe. I just cut them into slices, popped in a zip lock bag and put in the freezer. Yesterday I used 2 of those frozen bananas to make banana mango smoothie and the rest went into this cake. If you have bananas at the verge of spoiling, just peel, chop and freeze them. They freeze wonderfully and you can use is to make cake, ice creams and smoothies. For cakes, you will have to thaw them at bit but for smoothies you can use them as such.
Ingredients You Will Need
You can use any type of banana in this recipe. Sweeter the fruit you will need less sugar. Also make sure bananas are really ripe and soft for that wonderful flavor. Here I have used unsweetened cocoa powder. Use best quality cocoa powder for best results.
This banana chocolate cake is one of our favorites and a very delicious one too. This cake has a subtle flavor of banana with chocolate taste. This cake is made with 100% whole wheat flour. Also this is an egg free recipe and you don’t need butter or condensed milk as well. The best part you can whip up the batter in 10 minutes with just a bowl and spoon. All these make this cake a wonderful holiday breakfast. Kids will enjoy this with badam or pistachio milk.
The fat used in this recipe is oil. I have used olive oil as with all my oil based cakes. You can also use any vegetable oil or canola oil.
As with all my banana breads, I have a added a good dose of nuts here also. Instead of walnuts you can also use pecans, almonds or seeds like pumpkin seeds.
Finally I have also added chunks of dark chocolate before baking. The chocolate melts and beautifully blends with the cake creating a brownie like texture. I highly recommend adding chocolate chunks in this banana chocolate cake recipe.
How To Make Banana Chocolate Cake
1. Preheat your oven at 180C / 350 F. Grease and dust a loaf tin properly.
2. If you are bananas are frozen, thaw them for 15-20 minutes at room temperature. Take the chopped bananas in a mixing bowl and mash very well with a spoon or whisk.
3. Add oil, sugar and vanilla extract to the mashed bananas. Mix well and whisk until the whole mixture turns pale, light and fluffy.
4. Place a sieve over the bowl containing wet ingredients. Add wheat flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and soda. Sift the dry ingredients over the we ingredients and mix.
5. Cut and fold the dry ingredients and whip up the batter.
6. Add milk and mix well.
7. Throw in the chopped walnuts and mix.
8. Pout the batter into the prepared loaf tin and tap once or twice. Top with chopped dark chocolate.
9. Bake in the preheated oven for 35-45 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.
10. Let the cake cool for 20 minutes.
11. Slice and serve chocolate banana cake as required.
Just use water or almond milk instead of dairy milk
You can simple omit adding walnuts and just top with chocolate
Top Tips For Best Chocolate Banana Cake
Use over ripe sweet bananas in this recipe
Make sure to mash the bananas really well before adding the other ingredients
For lighter cake use plain flour instead of whole wheat flour.
I hope you will try this banana chocolate cake recipe and enjoy as much as we did.
Banana Chocolate Cake (Egg Free)
1 CUP = 250 ml
- 2 big over ripe bananas OR 4 medium ones
- 1/2 cup oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1.75 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup milk almond milk for vegan
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped dark chocolate
- Preheat your oven at 180C / 350 F. Grease and dust a loaf tin properly.
- If you are bananas are frozen, thaw them for 15-20 minutes at room temperature. Take the chopped bananas in a mixing bowl and mash very well with a spoon or whisk.
- Add oil, sugar and vanilla extract to the mashed bananas. Mix well and whisk until the whole mixture turns pale, light and fluffy.
- Place a sieve over the bowl containing wet ingredients. Add wheat flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and soda. Sift the dry ingredients over the we ingredients and mix.
- Cut and fold the dry ingredients and whip up the batter. Add milk and mix
- Throw in the chopped walnuts and mix.
- Pout the batter into the prepared loaf tin and tap once or twice. Top with chopped dark chocolate
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35-45 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the tin for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and cool for 20 minutes.
- Slice and serve as required
- This recipe yields around 10 slices of medium thickness.
- You can double the recipe
- The cake keeps well for 3-4 days in refrigerates moist and soft.