Last updated on April 19th, 2019
Ginger tea recipe or adrak chai is one of the most popular beverage across India. It is a very tasty beverage made with freshly minced ginger, teas leaves, milk and sugar. A strong cup of ginger tea is all you need to pick you upon a cold day. Here is how to brew that perfect ginger tea or adrak chai with step by step photos.
Tea is a beverage that most of the Indians drink on everyday basis. While coffee is widely consumed in Tamil nadu and Karnataka, it is tea for the rest of India as far as I know.
I am ardent coffee drinker but I can never resist a well made ginger tea or masala chai. I do make adrak chai at home occasionally especially when it rains 🙂 Also I have this chai masala powder handy for rainy days. Adrak means ginger in Hindi.
If you wake up to tea every morning do give this adrak chai a go as it will surely improve your tea experience greatly. Also this adrak chai is a very good remedy for sore throat, strainer throat and also a good one to up lift the mood.
This Indian milk tea with ginger will please anyone who loves their hot beverages and also you can make it as strong or light as you prefer.
Ginger root tea or Indian ginger tea is easy to make and will not take more than 15 minutes. So you can make this everyday or like me on days when you need something soothing, refreshing and yummy!
This Adrak Chai Recipe Is
a very easy one to prepare for beginners
delicious, complex with perfect balance of flavors
perfect beverage to start the day
Good for treating cold and headaches
How To Make Ginger Root Tea Easily?
To make ginger root tea begin by heating water in a sauce pan. Peel and mince 1 inch ginger piece. Add the minced ginger to the boiling water and boil for good 5 minutes for ginger flavor to infuse. You can also add green cardamom pods along with ginger like I always do.
Once the water is infused with ginger next add the tea leaves. Mix very well and simmer for a minute or two. Next add milk and mix well. Strain, add sugar to taste and serve immediately.
How To Make Adrak Chai For Cold?
Ginger itself is a great remedy for dry cough and treating sore throat. If you are however fighting cold you can add few crushed pepper corns and tulsi leaves to cure cold and stuffed nose.
Also try to reduce the quantity of milk if there is phlegm and running nose.
How To Make Ginger Tea Step by Step
Rinse, peel and mince 1 inch ginger piece very well.
Add 2 cups of water in a sauce pan and heat it up. Next add the minced ginger and boil for 5-6 minutes.
Add the tea leaves and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
Next add the milk and mix. Simmer for a minute and remove from flame.
Strain into serving cups and add sugar to taste. Serve immediately.
Variations With Indian Ginger Tea or Adrak Chai
- You can add 2-3 green cardamoms along with ginger.
- If you don’t have fresh ginger just use 1/2 teaspoon dry ginger powder or a small piece of dry ginger.
- If you are making Indian milk tea with ginger as remedy for sore throat then add 6-7 black peppercorns too.
- Instead of dairy milk you can add almond milk or soy milk to make vegan ginger tea. In that case just simmer the milk and do not boil it.
Tips For Making Perfect Adrak Chai.
- Use finest quality tea leaves for best homemade tea. You can try two or three brands and decide which one you like the most.
- Reduce the amount of milk for a strong brew and add more milk for milky tea.
- Do not boil the water after adding tea leaves. Just simmer for few minutes.
- Serve tea as soon as you make it.
I hope you will try this easy adrak chai recipe and enjoy as much as we did.
Indian Ginger Tea Or Adrak Chai Recipe
- 1 inch ginger piece
- 2 green cardamoms optional
- 2 teaspoons tea leaves add more if needed
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup milk
- sugar to taste
- Rinse, peel and mince 1 inch ginger piece very well.
- Add 2 cups of water in a sauce pan and heat it up. Add the minced ginger and boil for 5-6 minutes.
Now Add the tea leaves and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Next add the milk and mix. Simmer for a minute and remove from flame.
- Strain into serving cups and add sugar to taste. Serve immediately.