Last updated on August 5th, 2019
Chocolate salami is a delicious, easy no bake dessert from Italy. This chocolate sausage is a crunchy, rich and simple chocolate dessert you can serve with coffee. All you need are 6 ingredients and 10 minutes to whip up this sweet. While most of the recipes call for dark chocolate, you can easily make with just cocoa powder. Read on to know how to make chocolate salami with many variations.
These chocolate salami or chocolate rolls as we called it were a top favorite.
Traditionally chocolate salami is made with biscuits, chocolate and eggs. But we always made with cocoa powder, marie biscuits without alcohol. So this is an easy recipe that you can make even without dark chocolate.
These rolls very easy to make and a real treat for kids. You can whip the base in 10 minutes flat and freezer takes care of the rest. In fact this is a wonderful make ahead dessert that keeps well for a month.
These chocolate salami or salame au chocolat is a wonderful dessert to serve after an Italian meal. You can make dainty rolls and serve in style from a pretty bowl.
This Chocolate Salami Is
Vegetarian & no booze
Quick, no bake chocolate dessert
Made without dark chocolate, requires only cocoa powder
Crunchy from nuts, soft from biscuits and very delicious
Absolutely kid friendly
6 Ingredients & 10 minutes recipe.
To make this chocolate salami you will need any tea biscuits, good quality unsweetened cocoa powder, sugar, butter, nuts of choice.
In most of the recipes, you will find dark chocolate is melted and used for making this salami. But my recipe uses cocoa powder and butter, the ingredients easily available. However if you wish to use chocolate, I have also included the instructions for that.
Making this recipe is very quick and simple. You first make a chocolate sauce with butter, cocoa powder and sugar. Mix this sauce with crushed biscuits, nuts and dried fruits. Knead the mixture and shape like a log.
Roll the log tightly in butter paper and freeze for 2 hours. Slice and serve 🙂 Just 10 minutes hands on time!
Store the prepared rolls in airtight container. I prefer to refrigerate them so they remain fresh. Serve as dessert or snack with coffee. Here is a step by step breakdown of the recipe.
How To Make Chocolate Salami
Take around 20 digestive biscuits in a bowl.
Coarsely crush the biscuits and combine with 1/2 cup finely chopped almonds and 1/2 cup raisins. You can crush the biscuits in a food processor or with rolling pin or just by hands. Do not powder them.
Next melt 1/2 cups unsalted butter in a sauce pan.
Add 1/2 cup sugar and mix well.
Add 1/4 cup milk. Next add 1/4 cup sweetened cocoa powder.
Using a wired whisk mix well and make a smooth sauce.
Add the prepared biscuit mixture and mix very quickly.
While the mixture is still warm, knead and shape like a log. Roll in a butter paper and freeze for 2 hours.
Slice and serve chocolate salami as required.
Which biscuits are best for chocolate salami?
While traditionally amaretti biscuits are used for chocolate salami you can easily use any digestive biscuits. Do not use soft cookies for this recipe. I have made this recipe successfully with marie biscuits, digestive biscuits.
What other ingredients we can add in this recipe?
Next along with biscuits I like to add a good dose of nuts and dried fruits in chocolate salami. This time around I added almonds and raisins. You can also add hazelnuts, dried cranberries etc. Adding nuts lend a wonderful crunch and dry fruits give a surprise texture change.
How to make this recipe with chocolate?
Instead of cocoa powder and sugar you can just melt dark chocolate and make the sauce. Combine 1.5 cups dark chocolate and 1/2 cup butter in a dry bowl. Place this bowl over a pot of boiling water and melt the chocolate. You can use a double boiler instead. Pour this chocolate over the crushed biscuits and proceed with the recipe.
You can also use white compound to make white chocolate salami.
Storage & Serving Suggestions
This chocolate salami keeps well for a month in freezer. You can also store in in room temperature for 3-4 days. On freezing it turns a bit hard. So just thaw it for few mins before serving.
Serve chocolate salami as dessert after meal or snack with espresso or any other coffee.
You Might Also Like
I hope you will try this chocolate salami recipe and enjoy as much as we did. P
Chocolate Salami Recipe
- 3 cups crushed digestive biscuits around 20-25
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds or pistachios or hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder OR use 1.5 cups chopped dark chocolate instead of cocoa powder, milk and sugar
- Take around 20 digestive biscuits in a bowl.
- Coarsely crush the biscuits and combine with 1/2 cup finely chopped almonds and 1/2 cup raisins. You can crush the biscuits in a food processor or with rolling pin or just by hands. Do not powder them.
- Next melt 1/2 cups unsalted butter in a sauce pan.
- Add 1/2 cup sugar and mix well.
- Add 1/4 cup milk. Next add 1/4 cup sweetened cocoa powder.
- Using a wired whisk mix well and make a smooth sauce.
- Add the prepared biscuit mixture and mix very quickly.
- While the mixture is still warm, knead and shape like a log. Roll in a butter paper and freeze for 2 hours.
- Slice and serve chocolate salame as required.
- While making the chocolate sauce, if the consistency is very thick just few tablespoons milk and mix well.
- You can your favorite flavor like vanilla or peppermint while making the sauce.
- add 1 teaspoon coffee to the sauce to deepen the chocolate flavor.
- You can double the recipe