Last updated on November 7th, 2018
Chocolate truffles are the easiest and most decadent candy you will ever make at home. With few ingredients and four simple steps these truffles will make an impression with anyone who tastes. Here is my simple step by step recipe for making best chocolate truffles at home.
I have always loved chocolate truffles ever since I tasted them. A small ball either dusted with cocoa or nuts that give in to a smooth ganache when bitten was a real treat. Ever since I have been making these treat at home because homemade chocolate truffles are not only tastiest, also easiest 🙂
You can make these candies as snack or dessert or these will make the best edible return gift for any celebration. Just keep the refrigerated and serve chilled.
What Are Chocolate Truffles?
Chocolate truffles are bite sized candies or confections made with two main ingredients. Fresh cream and chocolate. You first make a ganache and make small balls of it. The balls are rolled over cocoa or grated coconut or chopped nuts or sprinkles or anything that you fancy.
While the basic recipe of chocolate truffles are made like this there are so many variations with the basic recipe.
How To Make Chocolate Truffles Easily At Home?
To make chocolate truffles first of all chill the cream well for few hours. On refrigerating some liquid from the cream will be separated. Now take the thick cream in a sauce pan and gently simmer it. Take it off the heat.
To the warm cream add grated or chopped chocolate and vanilla. Mix well until you get a very smooth ganache. Refrigerate this for 2-4 hours.
using a scoop, scoop out balls of same size and roll into a truffle. Chill for an hour. Roll them over cocoa powder, copped salted nuts, desiccated coconut or sprinkles. Arrange them in mini liners and store refrigerated until serving.
Variations and Tips For Best Chocolate Truffles.
Ideally you should be using heavy cream or whipping cream for this recipe. However we get only low fat or medium fat cream in Indian stores and I have used low fat cream with great success.
Use finest possible chocolate as your truffles taste exactly like the chocolate used.
I prefer to use 200 ml fresh cream for 250 grams of chocolate. Ratio of cream to chocolate is important for perfect ganache.
Chill the ganache until you can scoop out solid balls. Also chill them after shaping.
Use a clean chilled scoop to scoop out the ganche.
You can dip the chocolate truffles in tempered chocolate and then roll over cocoa powder or nuts. Instead you can just roll them over nuts, sprinkles or cocoa powder too.
Store the chocolate truffles in fridge and serve as required. Keeps well for a month.
You might also like
How To Make Chocolate Truffle Recipe Step by Step
1. Refrigerate cream for 2 hours. Now take the thick cream in a pan. Cook in low heat and bring to a simmer. Do not let the cream the boil. Finely chop the dark chocolate.
2. Remove the cream from flame. Add the dark chocolate bits and mix gently. Mix well till all the chocolate is dissolved. The mixture will be glossy and shiny. Refrigerate the mixture for 3-4 hours
3. Take the chilled truffles mixture and start making truffles. I used a tablespoon to scoop the mixture for making uniform sized truffles. Roll the shaped truffles in cocoa powder or chopped nuts.
4. Arrange in a baking sheet and refrigerate. Serve chocolate truffles as needed.
Chocolate Truffle Recipe
- 250 grams dar chocolate finely chopped OR 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons fresh cream
- cocoa powder or chopped nuts for rolling
- Vanilla extract optional
- Refrigerate cream for 2 hours. Now take the thick cream in a pan. Cook in low heat and bring to a simmer. Do not let the cream the boil. Finely chop the dark chocolate.
- Remove the cream from flame. Add the dark chocolate bits and mix gently. Mix well till all the chocolate is dissolved. The mixture will be glossy and shiny. Refrigerate the mixture for 3-4 hours
- Take the chilled truffles mixture and start making truffles. I used a tablespoon to scoop the mixture for making uniform sized truffles. Roll the shaped truffles in cocoa powder or chopped nuts.
- Arrange in a baking sheet and refrigerate. Serve chocolate truffles as needed.
1. You can add any flavoring of your choice like orange essence, cardamom or butterscotch.
2. You can add finely chopped nuts to the truffle mixture after adding chocolate.