Last updated on October 23rd, 2020
Beetroot halwa recipe is an easy dessert you can make with beets. This Indian sweet pudding recipe is made of grated beets, milk, khoya and sugar. Also you flavor it with cardamom powder, saffron and adorn it with fried nuts to make it more toothsome. Serve this halwa hot as snack or dessert after a lavish Indian meal for that perfect ending. Here is how you can make easy beetroot halwa recipe with step by step photos.
Beetroot is one of those veggies you either love or hate. I usually east most of the veggies without complaining but often find beets to be meh in savory preparations. I absolutely love beetroot kheer and halwa though. So even if you are not fond of beets do try this beetroot halwa and you will love it.
What Is A Halwa?
Halwa is an Indian sweet pudding or dessert made with either semolina, flour or nuts like almonds or veggies like pumpkin, carrot and beetroots. There are even some unique halwa recipes like green peas halwa, potato halwa.
I had a couple of organic fresh beets and put them to best use in this halwa along with some fresh khoya and loads of nuts. With just the right amount of ghee this beetroot halwa is the best dessert after that big fat Indian meal. You can also serve this halwa piping hot as snack with coffee.
So go ahead a whip up a delicious plate of this beetroot halwa in flat 30 minutes and treat yourself and your loved ones this festival season.
If you are looking for more halwa recipes to make for diwali along with this beetroot halwa do check
How To Make Beetroot Halwa?
To make beetroot halwa at home begin with grating the peeled beetroots. Use a sturdy hand held grater or your food processor to grate the beets.
Heat a thick pan with 2 tablespoons ghee. Fry the chopped nuts until golden and remove to a plate. Add the grated beets into same pan and saute in the ghee for 6-7 minutes. Saute well till all the ghee is absorbed by the beets.
Now slowly add the milk and mix well. Let the beets get well cooked in the milk. Once all the milk is absorbed add the khoya and mix well. Cook for 3-4 minutes. Adding khoya gives a rich taste to the beetroot halwa and it is optional. Next add sugar and mix well. Now also add 2-3 tablespoons ghee and cardamom powder. Cook well till the halwa leaves the sides of the pan. You may add more ghee now. Garnish with fried nuts and serve hot.
Can I Make Beetroot Halwa With Condensed Milk?
Yes, to make beetroot halwa with condensed milk you can reduce or completely leave out sugar. For 2 cups grated beets you can use 2 cups full fat milk and 3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk.
Fry the nuts and grated beets in ghee first. Then bring whole milk to a boil. Now add the sweetened condensed milk and mix well. Add the beets and cook till they are soft and done.
Finally add cardamom powder and mix well.
How To Make Beetroot Halwa In Pressure Cooker?
For making beetroot halwa easily using a pressure cooker here is the procedure.
Use a thick pressure cooker base and heat 2 tablespoons ghee in it. Fry the nuts and remove to a plate. Now add the beets and saute well. Add milk, sugar and khoya. Mix well. Pressure cook for 6 whistles.
Once the pressure is released, mix and add cardamom powder. Simmer the halwa for 4-5 minutes and remove from flame. Add the fried nuts and serve hot.
How To Make Vegan Beetroot Halwa?
To make vegan beetroot halwa use coconut or almond milk in place of dairy milk and coconut oil or light olive oil instead of ghee. You can leave out khoya or use 2 tablespoons corn flour in place of khoya to thicken the halwa. Just make sure to gently simmer the non dairy milk as opposed to boiling it.
Recipe Notes, Tips.
Increase or decrease the amount of sugar as per the sweetness of beets.
You can add more ghee for rich halwa. I have given the minimum quantity.
Use fresh and tender beets for best tasting halwa.
Instead of khoya you can use 4-6 tablespoons milk powder
More Indian Sweets You Might Like
How To Make Beetroot Halwa Step by Step
1. Rinse, peel and grate the beetroots finely.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons ghee in a thick pan. Add 1/4 cup chopped almonds, cashews and raisins to the hot ghee. Fry till the nuts turn golden. Remove them to a plate.
3. Now add grated beets to the same ghee and saute well.
4. Add 3 cups boiled milk and mix well. Cover and cook till beets get completely cooked and all the milk is absorbed Stir frequently to prevent burning.
5. Next add crumbled khoya and mix well. Cook for 5-6 minutes.
6. Add sugar and mix well. Adding sugar will dilute the mixture a bit and it is fine. Now add the remaining ghee and cardamom powder. Mix well.
7. Continue to cook till the halwa thickens and leaves the sides of the pan. You should see some ghee oozing out. Now add the fried nuts and mix. Remove from flame and serve hot or warm.
Beetroot Halwa Recipe
Easy Beetroot Halwa Recipe
- 4-6 tablespoons ghee
- 1/4 cup mixed chopped nuts almonds, cashews, pistachios, raisins
- 500 grams grated beets
- 4 cups full fat or whole milk boiled
- 3/4 cup khoya or mawa
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder or 3-4 green cardamoms crushed
- Rinse, peel and grate the beetroots finely.
- Heat 2 tablespoons ghee in a thick pan. Add 1/4 cup chopped almonds, cashews and raisins to the hot ghee. Fry till the nuts turn golden. Remove them to a plate.
- Now add grated beets to the same ghee and saute well.
- Add 3 cups boiled milk and mix well. Cover and cook till beets get completely cooked and all the milk is absorbed Stir frequently to prevent burning.
- Next add crumbled khoya and mix well. Cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Add sugar and mix well. Adding sugar will dilute the mixture a bit and it is fine. Now add the remaining ghee and cardamom powder. Mix well.
- Continue to cook till the halwa thickens and leaves the sides of the pan. You should see some ghee oozing out. Now add the fried nuts and mix. Remove from flame and serve hot or warm.
Are you making this recipe? Do snap a pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #cookclickndevou.