Guacamole recipe with video– A super quick and easy Mexican summer side dish that requires no cooking. You can whip up a fresh bowl of guacamole, the popular Mexican avocado dip in 5 minutes flat. So easy to make with ripe avocados, lime juice, cilantro and chilies. This is a healthy, flavor packed, spicy and tangy dip that you can serve in numerous ways. Serve it with crackers, tortilla chips, toast or if you are like me just eat it spoonful 🙂 Here is an easy recipe for basic guacamole with a video!
Guacamole is basically a Mexican dip made with avocados first made by Aztecs and it literally means Avocado sauce. This dip is traditionally made by mashing avocados, sea salt and lemon juice. Also authentic guacamole is made in a mortar n pestle.
How To Make Guacamole At Home?
It is ridiculously easy to make guacamole at home. You just need 8 ingredients and 5 minutes to make this delicious Mexican dip.
Begin with ripe and fresh avocado. Remove the stone and chop it roughly. Next you can mash it with a fork or mortar n pestle. Do not make it a smooth paste. There should be some chunky avocado in guacamole Next come the add-ins. I like to add finely chopped onions, fresh tomatoes and cilantro leaves. Finally add freshly ground pepper and rock salt or sea salt. Finish with a generous squeeze of fresh lemon or lime juice.
What I am sharing here is a very basic guacamole recipe. There are so many variations you can make in this recipe, do check the notes.
How To Pick Avocado For Guacamole and Other Uses:
Avocado is a very healthy fruit rich in pottasium, vitamins and folate. It is one of the superfood rich in good fat and highly recommended for toddlers and kids.
Other than this dip you can use avocado in salads, milkshake, add a ripe avocado to the roti dough and smoothies.
Avocados go from ripe to mushy very quickly. While the ripe fruit is buttery with smooth texture, the over ripe ones become very mushy and inedible. So it is important to choose the perfect avocado and store it properly.
When you gently press the avocado it should slightly give in. It is perfectly fine to pick up a raw avocado and let it ripe. Just place it in the counter or table and ripe. Do not store raw avocados in fridge.
Also when you cut open if the inside has brown spots or bruised then the fruit has gone stale. Do not consume it.
Guacamole Recipe Variations:
- To the basic version you can add finely chopped seasonal fruits like strawberry, mango etc.
- Pineapple cubes or pomegranate can be added.
- While serving add some grated parmesan cheese for richer taste.
- Instead of coriander leaves you can add fresh basil leaves or mint leaves also. Other greens like kale, baby spinach can also be added.
- Feel free to leave out tomatoes if you wish.
- Mix in some sour cream or hung curd while serving.
How To Store Guacamole and For How Long?
Avocado oxidizes very fast so it is important to store the guacamole properly to prevent it from turning brown. Once made refrigerate it covered with a wrap until serving.
I usually make a small batch and serve it right away. However when properly covered it should last for 1-2 days in fridge. Also when you want to keep it for 2 days add more lemon juice. You can also add some olive oil.
Finally here are some tips and suggestions that I have tried over the years with this recipe.
Best Guacamole Tips:
- The avocados should be just ripe. When you gently press the avocado it should give in slightly. The inside should be pale green without any brown spots or blemishes.
- Do not use over ripe or raw avocado.
- Use freshly squeezed lemon juice and be generous with it. I like to use 1 tablespoon lemon juice for 1 medium avocado. Add more if preferred.
- Use freshly ground pepper and rock salt. Use a pepper mill or powder your peppercorns before adding to the guacamole for the fullest of flavor. Also use sea salt or rock salt for potent flavor.
- The guacamole should have some texture. Do not mash the avocado into a smooth paste. There should be some small chunks for best texture.
Apart from serving with chops you can serve guacamole with toast, pita bread etc. You can also use this as dip with cutlets, use it as salad dressing, use a spread for burgers and sandwiches.
I also use it to fill in tacos, fajitas, serve with crackers, tortilla also.
More Condiments Recipes:
- Hummus recipe
- Marinara sauce
- pesto recipe
- Eggless mayonnaise
- fresh tomato salsa
Guacamole Recipe Video:
How To Make Guacamole Step By Step:
1. Cut open and remove the pit from a ripe avocado. Chop it roughly and take it in a serving bowl.
2. using a fork or vegetable masher mash the avocado roughly.
3. Add finely chopped onions, tomatoes and green chilies.
4. Also add chopped coriander leaves. Mix well.
5. Add freshly ground pepper and rock salt.
6. Finally add freshly squeezed lemon juice and mix well . Serve.
Best Guacamole Recipe:
Best Guacamole Recipe
1 CUP = 250 ml
- 2 ripe avocados medium size
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped tomatoes seeds removed
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 green chilies finely chopped (jalapeno)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper powder
- 1/2 teaspoon rock salt or sea salt more to taste
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- few mint leaves optional
- Cut open and remove the pit from a ripe avocado. Chop it roughly and take it in a serving bowl
- using a fork or vegetable masher mash the avocado roughly.
- Add finely chopped onions, tomatoes and green chilies.
- Also add chopped coriander leaves. Mix well.
- Add freshly ground pepper and rock salt.
- Finally add freshly squeezed lemon juice and mix well . Serve.
Are you making this recipe? Do snap a pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #cookclickndevou. Do leave a ⋆ rating along with your feedback!
Let us connect on Instagram, Facebook, pinterest & Twitter for more fun recipes and stories!
Farida Banu Shaik says