Last updated on April 30th, 2020
Veg cutlet recipe- Easy to make delicious and wholesome mixed vegetable cutlet that you can serve as snack or breakfast. This recipe is a perfect base recipe for making veg cutlet that you can alter in multiple ways and make as per your preference. These cutlets make for a wonderful snack with tea. Here is how to make veg cutlet with step by step photos.
What Is Veg Cutlet?
Cutlet or patty is a popular tea time snack made with mixed veggies or meat. This veg cutlet recipe is a patty made with various vegetables. You basically boil, mash the veggies, season them and shape them into patties. Then toss the patties in bread crumbs and fry them. This is the basic vegetable cutlet recipe but there are tons of variations.
A mix of vegetables like carrot, peas, french beans go into the making of veg cutlet recipe. Potatoes are used as binding agent for vegetable cutlet. However I have tried this easy vegetable cutlet recipe with yam too. Sweet potatoes and raw bananas can also be used.
So if you want to avoid potatoes you can easily use sweet potato, yam or raw banana in veg cutlet recipe. I also have a delicious sweet potato cutlet shared here.
I have always loved a well made veg cutlet. I prefer these homemade ones as these are more flavorful, crispy and especially less greasy compared to veg cutlets from restaurants.
Making vegetable cutlet at home is really easy and quick too. It is as easy as boiling the veggies. With few tips and tricks you will soon get then knack of making perfect crispy veg cutlets at home. I have also shared many time saving tips towards the end, keep reading!
This Veg Cutlet Recipe Is
Easy, simple & quick
Uses a variety of veggies
Vegan & gluten free
Shallow fried and less oily
Healthy and wholesome snack for toddlers and kids
Very crispy & delicious
Ingredients For Veg Cutlet
To make vegetable cutlets we need very few ingredients and mixed vegetables. Apart from the veggies we need ginger, garlic, green chilies, garam masala powder, chili powder for seasoning.
I have used corn flour slurry for dipping the shaped patties but you can also use plain flour slurry. Finally we need bread crumbs or panko crumbs to coat the shaped patties before frying them.
Here I have shallow fried the cutlet, you can also deep fry them, pan fry them or even bake them.
How To Make Veg Cutlet?
To make veg cutlet we first boil or steam cook all the veggies. Mash the cooked veggies and season them with ginger garlic, slit green chilies, cumin powder, garam masala powder and salt. Mix all the ingredients well and shape into patties.
Next mix cornflour with water and make a slurry. Dip the shaped cutlets into the prepared slurry and roll over the bread crumbs. Finally fry the cutlets and serve hot.
Can We Freeze The Shaped Cutlets?
These cutlets are perfect make ahead snack that you can count on for any parties. Prepare the veggie mixture, shape and roll over the bread crumbs. Now arrange these in a big tray and chill for an hour in the refrigerator. Once chilled, place them in an freezer safe box or bag and freeze till required.
When needed, just remove and thaw for 10 minutes. Bake or fry the cutlets as needed.
You can freeze the veg cutlet mixture for a month.
Can We Bake The Veg Cutlet?
If you want to avoid frying or reduce oil intake, you can easily bake these cutlets. Prepare the vegetable mixture, shape them and roll them in bread crumbs.
Now preheat oven at 200 C. Arrange the prepared cutlets in a greased baking tray. Pop them in the oven and bake for 12 minutes. Remove the tray from te oven, flip the cutlets and bake for 8-10 more minutes.
You can also air fry the cutlets in the same procedure.
How To Make Veg Cutlets Without Bread Crumbs
Bread crumbs are used in veg cutlet recipes for making them crispy. If you want to avoid using bread crumbs ten you can use any one of the below mentioned options.
- Roasted and pulsed oats
- roasted and pulsed rice flakes
Apart from serving as evening snack you can use this vegetable cutlet for making veg burgers too. You can use this vegetable cutlet as burger patties and make veg burger
Variations with Vegetable Cutlet Recipe
- You can add 1/2 beetroot along with other veggies in this veg cutlet recipe. Especially when making for toddlers and kids you can beets for a bright color.
- Add 1/2 cup grated paneer or 1/2 cup grated tofu for texture in veg cutlet.
- Instead of shaping into cutlets you can also shape these into bite size nuggets and fry them.
- Also you can shape them as kabab and fry or bake them in skewers.
Tips To Make Best veg Cutlet Recipe
- Adding potatoes helps in binding the veggies together. So if you want to omit them, do add sweet potatoes or yam or raw banana. Just boil them as you would the potatoes.
- Cook and mash the veggies, but do not make them into a paste. Small pieces of veggies and green peas add a nice texture and prevents from veg cutlet turning too soft in the inside.
- If your veggie mixture is very sticky you can add chickpea flour or some of the bread crumbs to reduce moisture.
- Serve vegetable cutlet along with green chutney, tomato sauce or even chili garlic chutney.
How To Make Veg Cutlet
Preparation of veggies for veg cutlet
Boil the vegetables until done and mash. Do not make it pasty.
Add salt and spice powders to the mashed veggies. Mix well.
Shaping and Frying Veg Cutlet
Add two tablespoons bread crumbs to the veggie mixture. Mix well and try shaping a cutlet. If the mixture is loose add one more tablespoon of bread crumbs. Divide the mixture in eight parts.
Shape the vegetable cutlet mixture into round or heart shaped using cookie cutter.
Mix corn flour or gram flour with water into a thin paste. Dip the shaped cutlets one by one.
Roll over the bread crumbs.
Heat oil for shallow frying. Place the cutlets and fry until golden brown from all sides.
Drain in a kitchen towel. Serve veg cutlet hot.
If you are looking for more such recipes do check
I hope you will try this paneer pizza recipe and enjoy as much as we did. P
Veg Cutlet Recipe
Veg cutlet recipe | vegetable cutlet recipe | Snacks recipes
For veg cutlet mixture:
- 2 big potatoes peeled
- 1 big carrot peeled
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 10-12 french beans
- 2 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- 2 green chilies
- 1/2 inch peeled and minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
Other ingredients for veg cutlet
- 2 tablespoons corn flour or gram flour
- 4 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- Oil for shallow frying
preparing veg cutlet mixture:
- Steam or boil the vegetables until done. Mash well. Do not make it pasty.
- To the mashed add salt and spice powders. Mix well.
Shaping and frying the veg cutlet
- Add two tablespoons bread crumbs. Mix well and try shaping a cutlet. If the mixture is loose add one more tablespoon of bread crumbs. Divide the mixture in eight parts.
- Shape the vegetable cutlet mixture into round or heart shaped using cookie cutter.
- Mix corn flour or gram flour with water into a thin paste.
- Dip the shaped cutlets one by one and roll over bread crumbs.
- Heat oil for shallow frying. Place the cutlets and fry until golden brown from all sides. Drain in a kitchen towel and serve veg cutlet hot.
- Bread crumbs are used in veg cutlet recipes for making them crispy.
- Instead of bread crumbs you can use roasted and pulsed oats, rice flakes or panko crumbs. You can also use roasted semolina or rava.
- While mashing the veggies do not make them very pasty.
- You can make veg burgers using these cutlets as patty.