Vegetarian tacos recipe in an easy way– These super delicious vegetarian tacos come together in no time by using ready made taco shells and leftover rajma masala 🙂 With minimum effort you can serve a lovely snack or quick dinner in under 20 minutes. Here is how to make easy vegetarian tacos at home.
Vegetarian Tacos-So Easy, So Delicious!
These vegetarian tacos are so easy to make. Here I have used store bought taco shells, instead of re fried beans it is Indian curried kidney beans (rajma), fresh tomato salsa.
You can make this veg tacos for dinner or snack in minutes if you have ready made taco shells in hand. However you can also make taco shells at home if you wish.
A taco is a Mexican dish made of corn flour eaten with various filling like baked beans, vegetables or beef.
These homemade vegetarian tacos are a wholesome and healthy snack for toddlers and kids. Just make sure your taco shells are clean. You have so many choices with taco shells, you can select corn or wheat shells as per taste.
You can also use tortillas instead of taco shells or make this as burrito. Also You can also add rice and make burrito bowl with curried kidney beans, tomato salsa and cheese.
These vegetarian tacos recipe I am sharing here is also gluten free. I have used corn tortilla shells here. You can skip cheese in this recipe for vegan tacos.
However if you eat cheese, I recommend adding it here. You can add grated cheddar or specialty cheese like Mexican cotija cheese or feta cheese. I personally like jack cheese or feta or cotija in tacos for their salty taste.
Serve veg tacos as dinner or snack. You can serve it with sour cream dip or hung curd that is lightly salted.
A fun way to serve tacos is throw a “make your own taco” night. Just assemble all ingredients and let everyone assemble their vegetarian taco as they like.
This Vegetarian Taco Recipe Is
Easy and simple to put together.
Uses store bought taco sells so very quick to make
healthy and wholesome dinner or snack
vegan and gluten free
delicious & flavorful with varied textures.
These vegetarian tacos recipe is made up for four components
- tortilla shells
- curried kidney beans
- tomato salsa
- grated cheese
If you don’t want to use rajma masala you can easily use Mexican refried beans or even chole masala will be good here.
Also instead of fresh tomato salsa you can also use sweet corn salsa for filling vegetarian tacos.
Once assembled serve vegetarian tacos immediately to prevent the shells from getting soggy. These veg tacos make for a wonderful after school snack. Keep all the ingredients ready and assemble the tacos just before serving.
How To Make Vegetarian Tacos
Prep work for veg tacos- Making Curried kidney beans
1. Pick, rinse and soak and pressure cook 1/2 cup kidney beans until completely cooked. Reserve the stock after cooking the beans.
2. heat oil in a pan and fry the whole spices. Next add chopped onions, slit green chilies and ginger garlic. Saute till onions turn a bit soft.
3. Add chopped tomatoes, spice powders and salt to taste. Cook till tomatoes are mushy and leaves out oil from the sides.
4. Now add the cooked kidney beans and reserved stock. Simmer for 5-6 minutes and remove from flame. Set aside.
Making Fresh Tomato Salsa.
Mix finely chopped tomatoes, onions, peppers, green chilies, mint and cilantro leaves.
Season with salt, pepper and ground cumin.
Add lemon juice and mix well.
Assembling And Serving Vegetarian Tacos
Preheat oven at 180 c for 10 minutes. Arrange the store bought taco shells on a baking tray or cookie sheet and heat for 5 minutes in the preheated oven. This will ensure the taco shells are crisp.
To serve, take one taco shell and fill with 2-3 teaspoons rajma masala. Add some onion tomato mixture, again add some rajma masala. Top with grated cheese. Serve vegetarian tacos immediately with any sour cream or yogurt dip.
Just leave out grated cheese or top with vegan cheese for vegan tacos.
Variations With Vegetarian Tacos Recipe
- Without Kidney Beans– If you do not prefer to add kidney beans in vegetarian tacos you can easily skip it. You can make this fajita filling and use it instead of cooked kidney beans.
- With guacamole- Instead of fresh tomato salad you can use this guacamole or even avocado salad.
- With Tortilla– if taco shells are not available you can easily use store bought or homemade tortillas for vegetarian tacos recipe. Just heat it, add the fillings and fold in half. Serve.
I hope you will try this vegetarian tacos recipe and enjoy as much as we did. P
More Snacks Recipes
Vegetarian Tacos Recipe
Vegetarian Tacos Recipe
- 6 taco shells
- 1/2 cup rajma masala
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 small tomato finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3-4 teaspoons grated cheese
- Heat taco shells at 180 c for 5 minutes in the preheated oven. this will make the shells crisp.
- Mix chopped onions,tomatoes, cilantro leaves and lemon juice well.Heat rajma masala.
- Take a crisp taco shell and fill 2-3 teaspoons rajma masala, onion-tomato and grated cheese. Serve vegetarian tacos immediately.
2. Use monetary jack cheese if avilable else any processed cheese will work.
3. You can use chole masala too for filling instead of rajma masala