Last updated on June 18th, 2019
Easy Mexican salsa recipe with fresh tomatoes. Take your tortilla chips or tacos as level up with this super easy no cook Mexican fresh tomato salsa. A very refreshing and delicious dish that is vegan, gluten free and takes just 15 minutes to whip up!
A Salsa is a typical condiment/sauce from Mexico and there are many types and recipes of it. This condiment also goes by the name salas fresca or picante. You can prepare this sauce with various vegetables like cucumber and also fruits like tomato, mango etc.
I first tasted this tomato salsa in a lunch buffet and just loved it. I got the recipe from the chef over there.
Over the years, I have adjusted the recipe to suit our taste and this one is a very delicious, flavorful and moderately spiced salsa recipe that is kids friendly. You can always add more or less chilies to suit your taste. While making for very small kids, you can just use pepper powder instead of chili.
We love Mexican food with all its spice at our home. While take out or dining in a restaurant is an option, I like to get my hands on making delicious fajitas, tacos, quesadilas, guacamole and more. We just love this fresh tomato salsa not just a side dish, also as a refreshing snack or light lunch during summers.
During summer we are blessed with abundance of fresh tomatoes, cilantro leaves and chilies. I do get very good jalapenos here so I use it my salsa and other Mexican recipes.
Serve fresh tomato salsa as side dish or snack too.
This Fresh Tomato Salsa Recipe Is
Delicious, easy & flavorful
Needs very few ingredients
No cook recipe within 15 minutes
Vegan and gluten free
During summer all I crave for is a bowl of refreshing salads. To make my salad quest interesting I make it in various flavors. But this classic salsa is something I keep coming back to.
With a garden full of ripe tomatoes, mint and cilantro leaves, I made this salsa literally everyday last week. Its just chopping and mixing up 🙂
Ingredients You Will Need
- Tomatoes-Always use ripe fresh tomatoes for salsa. I prefer to use firm salad tomatoes and I don’t bother to remove the seeds. You can If you want.
- Onions- For sharp flavor you can use red onions and for milder flavor use yellow or white ones.
- Chili- Authentic salsa recipe uses jalapenos or serrano chilies. If you don’t get those varieties of chilies you can use regular green chilies.
Other ingredients you will need are lime juice, cilantro and mint leaves, salt and dried oregano.
How To Make Salsa Fresco?
The recipe can’t get any simpler. You just chop finely the onions, tomatoes, chili and cilantro leaves. Mix them up, add salt,oregano, pepper and lime juice. Mix well, let the flavors mingle for a while and serve 🙂
Can I use blender for making this recipe?
Yes, you can use a blender but the dish will be like more of a sauce. if you prefer that consistency, you can use a blender and blend the ingredients coarsely.
How to prepare salsa for a crowd?
If you are making a big batch of this, chopping can get a bit tedious. In that case you can use a food processor and process the onions, cilantro leaves, tomatoes and chilies. Once done just adjust seasonings and serve.
How long does homemade salsa last?
I have stored this salsa for 3-4 days in refrigerator. You can safely store it for 4-5 days.
How To Make Fresh Tomato Salsa
1. Take finely chopped tomatoes in a mixing bowl.
2. Add finely chopped onions.
3. Add chopped pepper, mint and cilantro leaves. Mix very well.
4. Add lemon juice, oregano, pepper powder, salt and mix very well.
5. Serve fresh tomato salsa immediately.
You Might Also Like
I hope you will try this Mexican tomato salsa recipe and enjoy as much as we did. P
Mexican Tomato Salsa
Fresh Mexican Tomato Salsa
- 3 large ripe and firm tomatoes very finely chopped
- 1 yellow or red or white onion very finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno or 1/2 green bell pepper finely chopped
- finely chopped cilantro leaves
- finely chopped mint leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- First prp the veggies by rinsing them well.
- Next finely chop the tomatoes, onion, chilies and cilantro leaves. Alternately you can use a food processor.
- Add the chopped ingredients to a mixing bowl.
- Add salt, pepper powder, lime juice and oregano. Mix well. Adjust seasoning if needed.
- Let the salsa sit for a while. Serve as side dish with tacos, quesadillas or beans
2. You can add some cumin powder if preferred