Oats pongal recipe is one among tasty south Indian oats recipes. If you want to include oats in your diet but in different forms, this oats pongal is for you. Quick to make in flat 15 minutes this pongal is healthy, wholesome and filling too. Tastes best when served with sambar and coconut chutney. Here is how you can make best oats pongal recipe with step by step photos.
Healthy Indian oats recipes like are easy and healthy choices for weight watchers. We have shared some Indian oats recipes like oats idli, oats dosa,oats pongal, oats paniyaram recipes here. You can even replace rice with oats in this sambar sadham ,khichdi, bisibelebath, kharabath recipes.
Oats Pongal- Healthy and Tasty!
oats pongal is a very easy and simple choice for breakfast with oats. With just a handful of ingredients and 15 minutes we can make this pongal.
Pongal is the popular south Indian breakfast recipe with rice and lentils. You can serve pongal with idli, vada, sambar and chutney for filling and complete breakfast. This oats pongal is a good alternate recipe for those who want to limit the intake of rice.
In this tasty oats pongal recipe we use quick cooking oats. So this oats pongal can be made in 15 minutes. Roasted oats is cooked with moong dal. The creamy pongal is seasoned with black peppercorns and cumin seeds. Finally the oats pongal is tempered with curry leaves and ginger.
To make oats pongal more healthy you can add grated carrots, spinach leaves.
How To Make Oats Pongal?
To make oats pongal, dry roast moong dal until golden and aromatic. Add the roasted moomg dal and oats to a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 4-5 whistles. Once the pressure settles mash well and set aside. make the tempering with peppercorns, cumin seeds, ginger and curry leaves. Also add cashews and fry well. Add to the mashed oats, add required salt and mix well. Serve oats pongal.
Tips For Making Best Oats Pongal
You can use rolled oats or quick cooking oats for this recipe.
If you want to make vegan oats pongal use oil instead of ghee.
The recipe can be doubled or halved.
How To Make Oats Pongal Recipe Step by Step
1. Pick,wash and rinse the gram dal, Dry roast it low flame till it slightly changes in color. Pressure cook the dal until it is completely cooked,creamy and mushy. Once the pressure is released you can mash it further if needed.
2. Heat a pan and add 2 teaspoons oil to it. Once the oil is hot add mustard seeds and let it splutter. Then add crushed cumin and black pepper corns and saute well till they crackle. Add the cashews and fry for 2 minutes. Now add the crushed ginger and curry leaves.
3. Add the oats and fry for 2 minutes. Add 1/2 up water and let the oats cook for 3-4 minutes.
4. Add the cooked and mashed dal and mix well. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
5. Add salt and mix well. Add the remaining 1/4 cup water and adjust the consistency. Mix well and simmer for 2 more minutes.
6. Now the consistency will be little loose and creamy,remove from flame. Serve oats pongal hot with chutney or sambar.
Oats Pongal Recipe
- 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
- 1/4 cup split moong dal/pasi paruppu
- 3/4 cup water
- To temper oats pongal
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper corns crushed
- Small piece of ginger peeled and crushed
- 4-6 cashews
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 2 teaspoons oil
- Wash,drain and dry roast the moong dal till it changes color slightly.
- Pressure cook the moong dal until it is completely cooked and creamy
- Heat a pan and add 2 teaspoons oil. Once the oil is hot, add the ingredients mentioned in "to temper", one by one.
- Add the quick cooking oats and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup water and cook the oats for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the cooked dal,salt and remaining 1.4 cup water and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from flame and serve oats pongal hot with chutney/sambar
1. If you want you can add the moong dal without roasting,roasting the dal imparts a nice flavor and mild color to the pongal.
2. If you want a thick pongal with oats visible add 1/2 cup of water alone.
3. You can use ghee for tempering.
4. If the pongal solidifies,add 2-3 teaspoons milk/water and mix well over low heat before serving.