Potato roast or aloo roast is a delicious way to roast potatoes with Indian spices. This pan roasted potatoes are so good with rice. You don’t need many ingredients or there are no complicated steps here. Just with couple of good potatoes and simple seasoning, you will love how delicious this potato roast turns out. Here is how to make easy pan roasted potatoes!
Potato Roast- Easiest Side Dish Ever!
needs less oil
versatile side dish
Yep, there cannot be an easy side dish that is delicious as well like this aloo roast. These roasted potatoes gets ready in 20 minutes and pairs up well with any Indian mains. If you vary the seasoning you can easily pair this potato roast with continental dishes as well.
You basically pan fry the cubed potatoes until crispy and season it mildly. Selecting good new potatoes with less starch is the key here.
Potatoes are one of the widely used tuber vegetable worldwide. Among various ways to cook potatoes, roasted potatoes remain a top favorite to many.
There are many ways to make potato roast. Here I am showing you the easiest method to make pan roasted potatoes with simple seasoning.
Potato Roast Ingredients
- Use fresh and new potatoes that are less starchy for roasted potatoes. Your potato roast may turn mushy if there is too much starch in the potatoes. See tips to remove starch from the potatoes for roasting.
- You can also use baby potatoes in this recipe.
- If you want to keep the peel, just scrub it thoroughly and cube the potatoes.
You can use any seasoning of your choice for potato roast. Here I have used basic Indian spice powders. Below are some classic seasonings for roasted potatoes
- dried mixed herbs-olive oil
- Smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper powder
- Minced garlic or garlic powder
I have used regular cold pressed groundnut oil as in most of recipes. if you are using rosemary or mixed herbs as seasoning then you can use olive oil or any other neutral oil. Groundnut oil goes well with Indian spices.
How To remove Starch From Potatoes Before roasting
Some potatoes will contain lots of starch in them and while you roast or fry the copped potatoes will either turn mushy or consume lots of oil. We can remove most of the starch from the potatoes before cooking.
Scrub or peel the potatoes well. Cut them into desired shape. Take them in a bowl and add enough water to cover the chopped potatoes. Mix well and set aside for 10 minutes. Rinse the potatoes in the water thoroughly and drain the water. Add fresh water and rinse gain. You will see most of starch getting discarded with water. Once you find the water clear, you can drain and gently wipe off the excess water from the potatoes ans use it in the recipe.
You can use this method while making potato chips, fry, poriyal etc.
How To Roast Potatoes Easily?
To make roasted potatoes, first of all scrub or peel the potatoes. You can cut them into cubes or wedges. I like to chop them into cubes. Keep them soaked in water for 10 minutes to remove starch. Drain and wipe gently.
Heat a cast iron pan over medium heat. Add 3 tablespoons oil and once the oil is hot add the cubed potatoes. Over medium flame, saute the potatoes gently for 3-4 minutes.
Add your seasonings and mix again. Add salt to taste. Mix well and cook min medium flame, pan open. It will take around 12-15 minutes for roasting the potatoes. Once they are crispy and done, add kasuri methi and remove from flame.
Tips For Making Perfect Potato Roast
Chop the potatoes into big cubes or wedges so that they will hold up their shape while roasting.
Use a good quality well seasoned cat iron pan for roasting potatoes.
The recipe can be doubled
More Potato Recipes
How To Make Potato Roast Step by Step
Rinse, scrub and peel the potatoes if required. Cut them into big cubes or wedges. Soak them in water to remove excess starch. Drain.
Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a cast iron pan. Once the oil is hot add the cubed potatoes. Mix well and cook for 3-4 minutes over medium flame.
Add salt, chili powder and turmeric powder. Mix well and cook for 12-15 minutes keeping the pan open.
Once the potatoes turn crispy add kasuri methi. Mix well and remove from flame.
Serve potato roast hot or warm.
Potato Roast Recipe
Potato Roast | Roasted Potatoes
1 CUP = 250 ml
- 3 large potatoes peeled and cubed
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon kasuri methi
- Rinse, scrub and peel the potatoes if required. Cut them into big cubes or wedges. Soak them in water to remove excess starch. Drain.
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a cast iron pan. Once the oil is hot add the cubed potatoes. Mix well and cook for 3-4 minutes over medium flame.
- Add salt, chili powder and turmeric powder. Mix well and cook for 12-15 minutes keeping the pan open.
- Once the potatoes turn crispy add kasuri methi. Mix well and remove from flame.Serve potato roast hot or warm.