Last updated on May 25th, 2019
Looking for easy summer meal fixes? Make this raw mango rice recipe that takes exactly 20 minutes from start to finish. Serve with a side of pickle, curd and chips for an easy satiating summer lunch. No mess, no sweltering for hours in the kitchen and the best to use seasonal produce! Here is how to make easy raw mango rice recipe.
I think I have already said this, mango is an emotion in India. It is not just a fruit, a true emotion it is. We await mango season so lovingly and use the mangoes in all forms, all possible ways. Right from tender raw mangoes to raw mangoes to ripe fruit, there are so many recipes you will find in Indian cuisine like aam panna, mango thokku, pickle, phirni, lassi, dal, papad.
This raw mango rice is a south Indian specialty that you can make with sour raw or unripe mangoes. Apart from mangoes you just need a handful of very basic ingredients for this rice. If you have rice leftover from previous meal, you can this recipe in 10 minutes else it takes 20 minutes.
If you have leftover rice that is cold with separate grains you can use it in this recipe. if you
During the season I make this rice many times as we love this big time. This rice is a perfect balance of taste and flavors. It is slightly tangy, moderately spiced and very delicious. This rice is so delicious and addictive that it is often prepared for pregnant women during their baby shower like festival in Tamil nadu.
Raw Mango Rice Recipe
Delicious and flavor packed
Easy, simple and beginner friendly recipe
Vegan and gluten free
Quick recipe with 12 ingredients
Goes well in lunch box
So let’s quickly get through the ingredients and make this delicious variety rice, shall we?
You Will Need
To make this easy raw mango rice you will need peeled and grated raw mangoes, cooked and cooled rice, chopped green chilies, curry leaves and regular ingredients for tempering south Indian rice recipes.
You don’t need anything special or difficult to source ingredient for this recipe 🙂
How To Make Raw Mango Rice Step by Step
Rinse, wipe and peel the mango.
Using a grater, grate the mango finely.
Heat 2 tablespoons sesame oil in a pan. Temper with mustard seeds, chana dal, urad dal, slit green chilies and curry leaves. Saute well til the lentils turn golden and curry leaves are crispy.
Now add peanuts and cashews. Also add turmeric powder and mix well. Saute till cashews and peanuts are fried well.
Add the grated raw mango.
Mix well, add required salt and cook for 8-10 minutes or until the mangoes turn mushy and soft.
Now add the cooked rice, 2 teaspoons sesame oil.
Some Tips For Making The Recipe Perfectly
- Rice: As a rule of thumb the rice should be cooled with grains separate for all south Indian variety rice recipe.If your raw rice is aged, use more water for cooking it else use a bit less water. You will have to find this out by knowing the quality of your raw rice.I usually use aged rice so I use 3 cups water for 1 cup rice.
- Raw Mango: Use moderately sour mango that is very firm. Even if the mango is slightly ripe the rice will turn mushy
- Spices– There is absolutely no need to add any spice powders or whole spices like sesame in this recipe. In fact adding too many ingredients will mask the flavor of mango. Just make sure to saute the mango very well to bring out the flavor. Green chilies and turmeric powder add a wonderful flavor to this rice
- Oil– Use sesame oil if possible for flavor and it also offsets the heat produced in the body by mango.
More Variety Rice Recipes
I hope you will try this easy mango rice recipe and enjoy as much as we did.
Raw Mango Rice Recipe
Raw Mango Rice
- 1 cup raw rice
- 3/4 cup grated raw mango from a medium sized raw mango
- 2 tablespoons oil sesame or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons urad dal
- 2 teaspoons channa dal
- 3 green chilies slit
- 10 curry leaves
- 2 tablespoons peanuts
- 10 cashews broken
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- salt to taste
Pressure Cooking The Rice
- Pick and rinse the rice grains well.
- Add them to a pressure cooker followed with water. I use 3 cups water for 1 cup rice.
- Pressure cook for 2-3 whistles
- Once the pressure settles down, transfer to a wide plate, gently fluff up the rice and let it cool down well.
Making Mango Rice
- Rinse, wipe and peel the mango.
- Using a grater, grate the mango finely discarding the stone
- Heat 2 tablespoons sesame oil in a pan. Temper with mustard seeds, chana dal, urad dal, slit green chilies and curry leaves. Saute well til the lentils turn golden and curry leaves are crispy.
- Now add peanuts and cashews. Also add turmeric powder and mix well. Saute till cashews and peanuts are fried well.
- Add the grated raw mango.
- Mix well, add required salt and cook for 8-10 minutes or until the mangoes turn mushy and soft.
- Now add the cooked rice, 2 teaspoons sesame oil.
- Mix very gently.
- Serve mango rice warm or at room temperature with a simple raita or pickle or vadam.