Last updated on April 26th, 2020
Aam panna is a very delicious and refreshing summer drink with raw mangoes. You will find this quintessential summer drink very widely in north India. Boiled raw mango is pureed to which we add spices, sweetener and serve chilled. Here I am also sharing how to make aam ka panna concentrate so that you can make the drink when ever you want in a jiffy!
During summer at home we prefer healthy and cooling Indian summer drinks, homemade milkshakes and fruit juices. None of us at home are fans of juice cartons or cola drinks. So I often make lassi, panakam, chaas, lemonade, thandai to beat the heat.
This aam panna is a favorite from childhood. During raw mango season mom always made this amm ka panna concentrate and stored. We loved this drink with loads of ice cubes and mint leaves.
What Is Aam Ka Panna?
Aam panna is a traditional Indian summer drink made with raw mangoes. Aam means mango in Hindi. In this recipe you basically puree the cooked raw mangoes, add spices and sweetener and dilute with water.
The drink is chilled thoroughly and served with loads of ice cubes and mint leaves. If you haven’t tasted this drink yet, I urge you try this recipe. It is too good to be missed. Refreshing, slight tangy with the zing from spices, this one is a wonderful drink on a summer afternoon.
You will find aam panna sharbat or concentrate very widely in Indian stores. The good news is you can easily make this aam ka panna concentrate or preserve at home. That too without any preservatives, colorants or chemicals. It keeps good for months in refrigerator. Whenever needed you just add water, ice cubes and serve!
This Aam Panna Recipe Is
Delicious, healthy & refreshing
Free from preservative & chemicals
Traditional & clean recipe
Vegan & Gluten free
Like any Indian recipe there are multiple ways to make this aam ka panna too. One is by boiling the raw mangoes and other one is by roasting the raw mangoes. Here I have shared detailed recipe for making aam panna with boiled raw mangoes. See notes for brief instructions for the other method.
Which kind of mango is suited for aam panna?
You can use any type of raw mango or slightly ripe mango for this drink. If you use very raw mango it will be very sour. Here I have used very slightly ripe mango.
The color of aam paana depends on the type of mango used. Also if your mango is very sour you will have add seasoning and sweetener accordingly.
What are the spices used in aam panna?
Indian spices are black salt, roasted cumin powder and a pinch of cardamom. All the spices are very good for health too.
Can I make aam ka panna with jaggery?
Yes you can easily replace sugar with jaggery or jaggery powder in this recipe. If using jaggery block, grate it and dissolve it little water. Boil it and filter the impurities. Boil again for slightly sticky syrup and use it in the recipe.
If using jaggery powder you can add just like sugar. You can also use honey in this recipe but add it just before serving as honey should be boiled.
How To Make Aam Panna Recipe
1. pick a firm green mango and peel the skin.
2. Grate or chop the mango,leaving out the seed. I just grated the mangoes with a peeler as shown in the pic.
3. Pressure cook or boil the mangoes very well till they are very soft and almost dissolved in water.
4. Mash the mango pieces very well with a masher along with the water. Cook in low flame for 5 minutes.
5. Add sugar and mix well. Continue to cook for 10 minutes in low flame till the syrup thickens and reaches the sauce stage.
6. Add the pepper powder or crushed pepper and roasted cumin powder. Mix well and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
7. Once the syrup boils and thickens,remove from flame,add lemon juice and mix well.
8. Store aam panna preserve in a clean bottle and cool thoroughly before refrigerating.
Making Aam Paana Drink:
To make one serving of aam panna take 3 tablespoons concentrate in a serving glass.
Add 1 cup chilled water, few ice cubes and mint leaves. Muddle well and serve immediately.
How To Make Roasted Aam Panna?
Roasted aam panna is one more variation with this recipe. Here instead of boiling the raw mangoes, you will roast over direct flame.
Pick a raw mango and prick it here and there. Roast this mango over direct flame or on charcoal until charred. Once cooled mash and proceed with the recipe.
Some Tips For Making Aam Panna
Always use mangoes that are firm and slightly tart.
Use mangoes that are less fibrous
If you prefer you can keep the skin on, but make sure to scrub and clean it thoroughly.
You can increase or decrease the quantity of sugar according to taste.
Instead of mint leaves you can use cilantro leaves too.
You Might Also Like
I hope you will try this aam panna recipe and enjoy as much as we did. P
Aam Panna Recipe
Aam Panna Recipe (With Concentrate Recipe)
To make aam panna preserve
- 1 large raw mango
- 1/2 cup sugar adjust as per taste
- 1 teaspoon pepper powder
- 2 teaspoons roasted cumin powder
To make aam panna drink
- 2 tablespoons aam panna preserve
- 3/4 cup chilled water
- mint leaves
To make aam panna preserve
- Select a firm green mango and peel the skin.
- Grate or chop the mango,leaving out the seed. I just grated the mangoes with a peeler as shown in the pic.
- Pressure cook or boil the mangoes very well till they are very soft and almost dissolved in water
- Mash the mango pieces very well with a masher along with the water. Cook in low flame for 5 minutes.
- Add sugar and mix well. Continue to cook for 10 minutes in low flame till the syrup thickens and reaches the sauce stage.
- Add the pepper powder or crushed pepper and roasted cumin powder. Mix well and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Once the syrup boils and thickens,remove from flame,add lemon juice and mix well. Store aam panna preserve in a clean bottle and cool thoroughly before refrigerating.
Aam panna drink recipe:
- Take 2-3 tablespoons of aam panna preserve and add 3/4 cup water. Mix well an add crushed mint leaves and ice cubes. Serve immediately.