Last updated on March 31st, 2018
White sauce pasta recipe with vegetables! Indulge in this yummy creamy and delightful vegetarian pasta in white sauce with loads of vegetables. Make creamy and rich white sauce from scratch without adding cheese!
White sauce pasta recipe with video and step by step photos. Easy recipe for making delicious and creamy white sauce pasta at home especially without cheese.
The white sauce pasta recipe I am blogging today was requested by a reader. After trying out my Indian style masala pasta recipe, she asked me how to make white sauce pasta recipe. So sharing it here for you all!
The white sauce used in this pasta recipe is also known as bechamel sauce and it is from French and Italian cuisines. Bechamel sauce is prepared with flour, butter and milk. Traditionally nutmeg powder is added to flavor white sauce but I do not add it usually. White sauce is widely used in these cuisines especially in pasta, pizza, lasagna, scalloped potatoes, mac n cheese recipes.
Pasta in white sauce is a traditional Italian pasta recipe. This is one of the most popular pasta recipes across the globe. Also in many Indian restaurants this creamy white pasta is a popular one. The white sauce is tossed with al dente pasta to make pasta in white sauce. I have also added vegetables. You can use penne, rigatoni or macaroni in this creamy pasta recipe.
To make white sauce pasta recipe, you can make fresh white sauce as I did here or you can prepare the white sauce one day before and store. Just add the sauteed vegetables and boiled pasta while serving.
The white sauce recipe used in this pasta does not contain cheese. I have not added any cheese here unlike my cheese corn toast recipe. This white sauce is so rich, creamy and smooth even without cheese and white sauce pasta turns out very rich tasty and creamy without any cheese. It turns out very close to Italian white sauce pasta recipe.
Here, I have added vegetables like different colored bell peppers, sweet corn kernels and carrots. You can also add onions, broccoli florets, baby corns and more. Adding vegetables in pasta is a good idea especially when serving for kids.
The key for making perfect pasta in white sauce is making perfect white sauce. Make sure to do the whole preparation in low flame. Use boiled and cooled milk, after adding milk make sure that you keep stirring the sauce until it turns thick and smooth. If you want to add cheese in white sauce recipe, add it towards the end and switch off the flame once you add the cheese.
This will be delightful lunch or dinner that toddlers and kids will adore especially. You can use whole wheat pasta, but the flour used in white sauce cannot be replaced with wheat. So it is better to eat this in moderation and once in a while.
Variations for making white sauce pasta recipe:
- You can make white sauce pasta by adding some mayonnaise while making white sauce. Add mayo towards the end and whisk very well off the flame.
- You can some minced garlic in white sauce pasta. You can add garlic to the white sauce itself or saute the garlic before adding the vegetables. Adding garlic will elevate the flavor of this pasta recipe.
- If you want to add cheese in white sauce add it after switching off the flame. This will ensure that the cheese blends thoroughly.
Some tips for making perfect white sauce pasta:
- Make sure the milk used for making white sauce is boiled and thoroughly cooled. This will ensure that the sauce is smooth without lumps.
- Always make white sauce in low flame.
- Roast the flour very well until it turns golden for flavorful white sauce.
- Cook pasta al dente and keep it closed until use. If the pasta turns dry it will soak up the white sauce.
If you are looking for more pasta recipes do check:
How to make white sauce pasta recipe(step by step)
1. To begin making white sauce pasta recipe start by cooking pasta. First of all bring plenty of water in a pot to boil. Add pasta along with a drop of oil and cook till done. Drain and reserve the stock. Set aside the boiled pasta.
2. Now to make white sauce, in a pan add 1/2 teaspoon butter. Add the chopped bell pepper, boiled sweet corns, peeled and chopped carrots and saute for few minutes. Remove to a plate.
3. In the same pan add 1 1/2 tablespoons butter and melt it.
4. To the melted butter, add 1 tablespoon madia or all purpose flour and whisk very well.
5. Also add 1/4 cup boiled and cooled milk. Keep whisking in low flame.
6. The mixture will start to thicken. At this stage add chilli flakes, pepper powder, oregano and also salt.
7. keep whisking till the white sauce further thickens and turns smooth.
8. Add the sauteed vegetables and mix well.
9. Finally add the boiled pasta to the prepared white sauce.
10. Mix well and add some more dried herbs if needed. Serve white sauce pasta hot.
Pasta in white sauce video:
If you’ve tried this recipe or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below. I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and recipes.
White sauce pasta recipe card below:
- 3/4 cup pasta I used penne
- 1 small carrot peeled and chopped fine
- 1/3 cup sweet corn kernels boiled
- 1/2 green bell pepper chopped fine
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped fine
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon maida/ all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cup milk boiled and cooled
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano or basil or thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
- Boil the pasta and set aside.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon butter in a pan and saute the chopped vegetables. Remove to a plate.
- Add 1 1/2 tablespoons butter in the same pan and add maida/flour. Whisk very well.
- Add boiled milk and mix well. Whisk very well in low flame to avoid lumps.
- Once the sauce starts to thicken, add salt, pepper powder, chilli flakes and dried herbs. Mix well.
- Cook further in low flame till the sauce thickens and turns smooth.
- Add sauteed veggies and mix well.
- Add boiled pasta and mix well.
- Serve white sauce pasta hot.
1. Make sure that there are no lumps in white sauce.
2. You can add 2 tablespoons grated cheese while preparing white sauce. Or you can serve the topped with grated cheese.
3. You can any dried herb or even mixed pasta spice instead of oregano.