Last updated on May 1st, 2019
Garlic rasam recipe or poondu rasam recipe with step by step photos. Sharing a very easy recipe for garlic rasam/poondu rasam, a rasam with medicinal properties, full of flavor.
Garlic rasam/poondu rasam is one staple at home during monsoons. As most of you must be knowing garlic is an excellent ingredient with loads of medicinal properties and it greatly helps in fighting cold. B
I am not a big fan of garlic. If there is one dish that love which highlights garlic,then it has to be this garlic rasam/poondu rasam.
Today I am sharing a very easy no grind garlic rasam recipe. Also you do not need rasam powder for this poondu rasam recipe.
The most common version of poondu rasam recipe is where garlic cloves are ground with green chilies and curry leaves, but in this recipe,pepper corns,cumin seeds and garlic pods are freshly crushed and added to the rasam.
So it is a very very healthy rasam and more flavorful too. This recipe is from “samayal samrajyam” by “arusuvai arasu” Natrajan, I picked this book from a shop selling old books and I love all the easy authentic recipes given in this book.
To make garlic rasam recipe, I have used toor dal here. You can use toor dal or moong dal or you can make rasam even without dal. The number of garlic cloves is really your choice. I have used 4 small pods and that gives a very mild flavor. You can add up to 8 pods too if you prefer strong garlic flavor.
Here is how to make garlic rasam recipe /poondu rasam recipe, do try out!
If you are looking for more easy rasam recipes check here- rasam recipes from cook click n devour!!!
Garlic Rasam Recipe
Garlic rasam recipe | Poondu Rasam
To crush into coarse powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 3 garlic cloves big
For making rasam
- 1/4 cup tuvar/arhar dal cooked and mashed
- 1 tablespoon Tamarind
- 2 cups water warm
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon jaggery optional
- Salt to taste
To temper garlic rasam
- 2 teaspoons ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3-4 garlic pods
- 10 curry leaves
- 2 dried red chilies
To make instant rasam powder
- Crush together 3 garlic pods, 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper and 2 teaspoons cumin seeds into a coarse mixture. You can use a mixer grinder or mortar and pestle
To make rasam
- Soak tamarind in 2 cups water and extract thin tamarind water.
- To that add crushed rasam powder, salt, jaggery, asafoetida and turmeric powder. Bring to a rolling boil
- Add the cooked and mashed toor dal and simmer till the rasam turns frothy
To temper garlic rasam
- In the meantime, heat 2 teaspoons ghee in a small pan
- Temper with mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves, dried red chilies and garlic cloves
- Add to the simmering rasam. Add coriander leaves and switch off the flame
- Serve garlic rasam hot with rice,
How To Make Poondu Rasam Recipe Step by Step
1.Take a small lemon sized tamarind and dissolve it in 2 cups of water.
2.Add torn dried red chillies,green chillies,turmeric powder,jaggery,asafoetida and curry leaves. Boil this for around 10 minutes until it reduces a bit in volume.
3. Crush peeled garlic pods, pepper corns and cumin seeds. Now add the crushed peppercorns-cumin seeds-garlic pods and continue to boil for another 5-7 minutes. Add salt.
4. Now mash the cooked toor dal along with water and add to the boiling rasam. Continue to boil until the rasam turns frothy.
5. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a pan and temper with mustard,curry leaves and finely chopped garlic.
6.Add this tempering to the rasam along with the oil and mix well.
7. Add the finely chopped cilantro leaves,close the lid and switch off the flame. Serve easy garlic rasam with hot rice or plain as soup.