Potato poriyal recipe– easy and simple Tamil nadu style potato stir fry or curry that is perfect with sambar and rasam rice. Quick potato side dish recipe in 20 minutes! With just very ingredients you can make this potato stir fry and serve with any Indian main course.
What is your one favorite ingredient that is so versatile? For me it is undoubtedly the potatoes. Just with potatoes and couple of other simple ingredients you can whip up a decent meal anytime. Right from fancy parathas to cheese balls to dum aloo to poori masala there are so many potato recipes that are loved across the globe.
This potato poriyal recipe is one easy side dish that I make at least once in a week. Especially when we have sanabr or rasam, usually a potato side dish like this poriyal or fry or roast is accompanied. Sambar or rasam rice tastes so much better with potato 🙂
One more reason for you to make this simple curry is that, it is super kid friendly. Kids simply adore this humble stir fry and my kid love it too. I make it crispy and she loves this poriyal with curd rice. Also you can use this curry as filling for sandwich.
This Potato Poriyal Recipe
Easy everyday recipe with simplest of ingredients
Under 20 minutes recipe for busy cooks
Vegan, gluten free, low oil, clean
Absolutely delicious and flavorful
Toddlers, kids and adult friendly 🙂
To make potato poriyal recipe you need potatoes, onions and just few other ingredients. You just need to saute the chopped potatoes in tempered spices and mildly season it. Then saute in medium heat til the potatoes are done and crispy. Very easy, quick and simple yet absolutely delicious.
You can serve this curry with both rice and roti. It in fact tastes wonderful with all Indian meals.
How To Make Potato Poriyal
1. First of all wash, scrub and peel the potatoes. Dice them finely. Rinse the diced potatoes twice to remove starch. Drain and set aside.
2. heat 2 tablespoons oil in a thick pan. Temper with mustard, urad dal and curry leaves. Saute well.
3. Add sliced onions.
and saute till they turn soft.
4. Add diced potatoes and saute well for 3-4 minutes.
5. Season with salt, chili powder and turmeric powder. Saute well for 3-4 minutes.
6. Cover and cook in medium flame for 10-12 minutes. Splash some water if needed to prevent sticking.
7. Once the potatoes turn golden and crispy, remove from flame. Serve with sambar rice.
Tips For Making The Recipe Perfectly
- Select new and fresh potatoes that are less starchy. Also aged potatoes tend to be sweeter and will not suit for this recipe.
- Make sure to dice the potatoes in uniform size because if the sizeof the chopped potatoes are uneven then there will not be uniform cooking.
- Use a very good heavy cast iron pan for making potato poriyal as this will prevent burning. Also heavy pan will retain heat for long time.
- Spread the oil very well in the pan before adding the potatoes.
- Cook in medium flame for crispy golden potato fry.
- Finally you can leave out onion in this recipe if you prefer that way.
In this recipe I have used minimum seasoning. Just turmeric powder and chilli powder. You can also add garam masala powder or sambar powder for a different taste.
More Potato Recipes
If you are looking for more potato recipes do check potato fry, potato curry, potato masala, potato poori, aloo matar, Bombay potatoes recipes.
I hope you will try this potato poriyal recipe and enjoy as much as we did.
Potato Poriyal Recipe
Potato Poriyal Recipe | Urulaikizhangu Poriyal
1 CUP = 250 ml
- 2 potatoes large
- 1 onion sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 10 curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- 2 tablespoons oil
- First of all wash, scrub and peel the potatoes. Dice them finely. Rinse the diced potatoes twice or thrice to remove starch. Drain and set aside.
- heat 2 tablespoons oil in a thick pan. Temper with mustard, urad dal and curry leaves. Saute well.
- Add sliced onions and saute till they turn soft.
- Add diced potatoes and saute well for 3-4 minutes.
- Season with salt, chili powder and turmeric powder. Saute well for 3-4 minutes.
- Cover and cook in medium flame for 10-12 minutes. Splash some water if needed to prevent sticking.
- Once the potatoes turn golden and crispy, remove from flame. Serve with sambar rice.
Shivani Raj says
Thank you so much for sharing such everyday recipes Harini. These are very handy for beginners like me