Paal payasam recipe is a delicious south Indian milk kheer with rice. This quintessensial south Indian dessert is made for all festivals like Diwali, navratri. Here is how to make best paal payasam recipe with step by step photos.
What Is Paal Payasam?
Paal payasam is a traditional south Indian dessert you will find all festivals as well as wedding feasts. It is essentially a sweet rice pudding cooked in milk and garnished with fried nuts.
There are many variations with paal payasam recipe like using sugar, jaggery, coconut milk etc. Also you make this milk kheer is pressure cooker, in a pot and also microwave.
Serve paal payasam hot or warm as dessert. You can serve it cold if you prefer.
How To Make Paal Payasam In A Pot?
Making paal payasam in a pot is easy but takes time. Actually it is the traditional method of making this payasam.
To make this payasam in a pot, the recipe basically remains the same. Use a sturdy pot with heavy bottom and lid.
Heat 2 tablespoons in the pot. Add the basmati rice and roast till it turns fragrant. let cool and grind to a coarse powder.
In the same add the milk and bring to a boil. Add the rice powder and mix well. Simmer the flame and cook for 30-40 minutes until the rice is completely cooked. Add the sugar, saffron and nuts. Simmer for 10 more minutes and remove from flame.
Paal Payasam With Coconut Milk
To make paal payasam recipe with coconut milk you need 1.5 cups thin coconut milk and 1/2 cup thick coconut milk.
Cook the rice grits in thin coconut milk until done. Add the sugar and simmer till sugar dissolves. Add cardamom powder, saffron and nuts. Finally add thick coconut milk and remove from flame. This is a vegan paal payasam recipe for those who want to avoid milk.
Tips For Making Best Paal Payasam
Use a heave pot or big pressure cooker for this recipe
Do not use more rice than mentioned in the recipe
I like to infuse the payasam in saffron. If you want to make white payasam just leave out saffron
Paal Payasam Recipe
- 2 cups 500 ml milk (preferably full fat)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon basmati rice
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1 teaspoon ghee
- Whole cashews and raisins for garnish
- Roast basmati rice with little ghee and grind into a coarse powder.
- Take the milk in a pressure cooker and bring to a boil. Now add the ground rice and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Once the pressure is released,open add crushed saffron,sugar and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Heat ghee in a small pan and fry raisins and cashews,add the fried nuts to the payasam discarding the ghee. Add cardamom powder,mix and remove from flame. Serve paal payasam hot/cold.
1.Don't add more rice,else the consistency will become like pongal.
2.Grinding the rice helps in cooking fast