Last updated on October 15th, 2019
Paal payasam is a delicious south Indian milk kheer with rice. This quintessential south Indian dessert is made for all festivals like Diwali, navratri. With just three main ingredients you can make this super rich dessert for all festivals. The traditional paal payasam recipe takes some time to make but here I am sharing an easy method. Here is how to make best paal payasam recipe.
What Is Paal Payasam?
Paal payasam is a traditional south Indian dessert you will find all festivals as well as wedding feasts. It is essentially a sweet rice pudding cooked in milk and garnished with fried nuts.
There are many variations with paal payasam recipe like using sugar, jaggery, coconut milk etc. Also you make this milk kheer is pressure cooker, in a pot and also microwave.
Payasam as it is known south India or kheer as known in north India is a simple milk pudding made with rice, vermicelli, semolina, sago pearls or various veggies at times. There are literally more than 100 varieties of payasam recipes made with various ingredients. This paal payasam or milk payasam is the most basic and popular one.
In south India we make payasam not only for festivals like Diwali, Ganesh chathurti, navratri but also for quick Friday poojas. So having some quick methods and shortcuts come rally handy. We make carrot kheer, badam kheer, pumpkin kheer depending on the availability of the ingredients.
As I mentioned above traditional method of making paal payasam might take especially if you are doing in large scale. Here I am sharing an easy method to make paal payasam using pressure cooker.
Fragrant basmati rice combined with milk and sugar is sure a treat to the taste buds. Addition of teeny amount of ghee absolutely elevates the flavor and experience. Adding dry fruits and nuts are optional but I recommend.
Just 4 ingredients and 20 minutes are all you need to make this quick version of paal payasam and I am telling you will love this.
Serve paal payasam hot or warm as dessert. You can serve it cold if you prefer.
This Paal Payasam Recipe Is
Rich, flavorful & delicious
Quick method that takes only 20 minutes
Vegetarian & gluten free
Can be made vegan easily
kid friendly dessert with wholesome ingredients
apt for festivals like Diwali, New year, Navratri
Ingredients For Paal Payasam
To make paal payasam you will need
- Milk- use full fat whole milk for best tasting payasam. This payasam tastes best when made creamy and rich.
- Sugar– Sugar is my preferred sweetener for this dessert. If you are making this payasam with coconut milk you can add jaggery. Adding jaggery to dairy milk will curdle the milk though.
- Ghee– a small amount of ghee truly elevates the flavor and taste of this dessert but you can skip it if you wish.
- Saffron– I like to infuse my paal payasam with a pinch of saffron. rather than pure white payasam, we like this orange hued one. Again saffron is an optional ingredient. You can just add some cardamom powder.
How To Make Paal Payasam In A Pot?
Making paal payasam in a pot is easy but takes time. Actually it is the traditional method of making this payasam.
To make this payasam in a pot, the recipe basically remains the same. Use a sturdy pot with heavy bottom and lid.
Heat 2 tablespoons in the pot. Add the basmati rice and roast till it turns fragrant. let cool and grind to a coarse powder.
In the same add the milk and bring to a boil. Add the rice powder and mix well. Simmer the flame and cook for 30-40 minutes until the rice is completely cooked. Add the sugar, saffron and nuts.
Simmer for 10 more minutes and remove from flame.
Paal Payasam With Coconut Milk
To make paal payasam recipe with coconut milk you need 1.5 cups thin coconut milk and 1/2 cup thick coconut milk.
Cook the rice grits in thin coconut milk until done. Add the sugar and simmer till sugar dissolves. Add cardamom powder, saffron and nuts.
Finally add thick coconut milk and remove from flame. This is a vegan paal payasam recipe for those who want to avoid milk.
Tips To Make Best Paal Payasam
Use a heave pot or big pressure cooker for this recipe
Do not use more rice than mentioned in the recipe
I like to infuse the payasam in saffron. If you want to make white payasam just leave out saffron
More payasam or kheer recipes
I hope you will try this paal payasam recipe and enjoy as much as we did. P
Paal Payasam Recipe
Paal Payasam Recipe (Easy Method)
- 2 cups 500 ml milk (preferably full fat)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon basmati rice
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1 teaspoon ghee
- Whole cashews and raisins for garnish
- Roast basmati rice with little ghee and grind into a coarse powder.
- Take the milk in a pressure cooker and bring to a boil. Now add the ground rice and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Once the pressure is released,open add crushed saffron,sugar and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Heat ghee in a small pan and fry raisins and cashews,add the fried nuts to the payasam discarding the ghee. Add cardamom powder,mix and remove from flame. Serve paal payasam hot/cold.
- Don't add more rice, else the consistency will become very thick.
- Coarsely powdering the rice helps in fast cooking.
- You can double the recipe