Makhane ki kheer or phool makhana kheer is a delicious and rich dessert. This kheer or milk pudding with phool makhana is popular as fasting food for Navratri, ekadasi or Mahasivaratri. With very few ingredients and time, this makhana kheer tastes very rice and delicious. Here is how to make makhane ki kheer at home.
Makhana or foxnuts seeds are my absolute favorite snack. I always ave both raw and roasted makhana handy. While roasted makhana is best served with ginger tea or masala tea, you can use raw makhana is various recipes.
In northern parts of India there are various preparations like makhane ki kheer, makhana curry, makhana raita with these foxnut seeds. I also make super addictive chocolate makhana and makhana chivda at times. This Navratri I made this makhana kheer one day for neivedhyam.
Kheer is Indian milk pudding sweetened with sugar or jaggery. There are various kheer recipes that we make like rice kheer, sabudana kheer, badam kheer, carrot kheer and this makhana kheer is one such easy recipe.
You will need just 5-6 ingredients to make this sweet. Also within 20 minutes this dessert gets ready, apt for quick poojas or on days when you want to prepare a sweet in a jiffy.
Makhana adds a nice nutty taste and flavor apart from thickening the kheer. Here I ave kept it simple with very minimum garnishing. You can add more dry fruits or nuts to make this dessert rich and attractive.
You can serve makhana kheer warm or cold. I like it thoroughly chilled, very delicious 🙂
This Makhana Kheer Recipe Is
Vegetarian & gluten free
Can be made vegan easily
Healthy, wholesome & filling dish while fasting
Very delicious & rich
Easy recipe made in 20 minutes
Healthy and attractive dessert for toddlers and kids.
Makhana – Emerging Super Food!
Phool makhana or makhana is emerging out as healthy and low cal alternate to popcorn. You can see many dietitians recommending a handful of roasted makahna as snack these days. But this as an age old ingredients that has been prevalent in Indian cooking.
If you have not tasted makhana yet, I recommend you start with roasted makhana. It looks and tastes better than popcorn and really wonderful with tea. You can season it as you prefer.
Few other ways you can use makhana in your diet are
- add it while making panjri, dry fruits ladoo etc. You can also use roasted makhana to garnish tomato soup.
- Add it in Indian curries like matar masala, paneer makhani etc.
- Use plain roasted makhana like breakfast cereal and mix it with milk & fruits.
- You can powder roasted makhana and mix it with roti or paratha dough.
- make simple makhana raita too.
Now coming back to our makhana kheer recipe, here is a simple breakdown of ingredients
Makhana Ki Kheer Ingredients
To make this delicious kheer you just need three main ingredients and few optional ingredients.
Milk- Boiled full fat milk best suits this or any kheer recipe. For skinny version you can also use low fat milk, but the creamy texture might be compromised.
Makhana- Phool makhana rosted until fragrant in a drop of ghee.
Sweetener- Regular sugar or organic raw sugar. If you want to use cane sugar or jaggery see notes.
Optional Ingredients- Chopped nuts, raisins etc.
You can also use a pinch of saffron and cardamom powder for flavor.
How To Make Makhana Kheer?
Heat 1/2 teaspoon ghee in a pan and add the makhane.
Roast well in medium flame for 5-6 minutes. Let cool and powder the roasted makhana reserving 1/4 portion of it.
Add milk to pan and bring to a boil. To that add sugar, cardamom powder and few saffron strands. Mix well.
Cook for 6-7 minutes or until the milk thickens a bit.
Now add the ground makhana and mix very well. Mix well as it tends to form lumps.
Simmer for 5-6 minutes.
Add the reserved roasted makhana and mix well. Simmer for 2 more minutes.
Now add chopped roasted nuts and mix well if you are using them.
Remove from flame. Serve makhana kheer warm or chill until serving.
Makhana Kheer Recipes Notes
Do not use more than 1 teaspoon ghee for roasting makhana. If you use more gee, sometimes ghee will float in the kheer.
Add sugar as per taste. The quantity of sugar mentioned here is for moderately sweet kheer.
To make vegan makhane kheer you can use coconut milk. Use thin coconut milk as thick milk curdle if you simmer for long. Also you can add jaggery or cane sugar while using coconut milk.
The recipe can be double or halved.
Makhana kheer keeps well for 2-3 days in refrigerator.
More Kheer Recipes
I hope you will try this makhana ki kheer recipe and enjoy as much as we did. P
Makhana Kheer Recipe
Makhane Ki Kheer (Makhana Kheer)
1 CUP = 250 ml
- 1/2 teaspoon ghee
- 1 cup makhana phool makhana or foxnuts
- 2.5 cups full fat or low fat milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron strands
- Heat 1/2 teaspoon ghee in a pan and add the makhane.
- Roast well in medium flame for 5-6 minutes. Let cool and powder the roasted makhana reserving 1/4 portion of it.
- Add milk to pan and bring to a boil. To that add sugar, cardamom powder and few saffron strands. Mix well.
- Cook for 6-7 minutes or until the milk thickens a bit.
- Now add the ground makhana and mix very well. Mix well as it tends to form lumps.
- Simmer for 5-6 minutes.
- Add the reserved roasted makhana and mix well. Simmer for 2 more minutes.
- Now add chopped roasted nuts and mix well if you are using them.
- Remove from flame. Serve makhana kheer warm or chill until serving.