Jeera rice recipe with video and step by step photos. ThView postis mildly spiced cumin flavored rice is the most popular rice recipe from north Indian cuisine. We make this easy jeera rice in cooker to go with rich and flavorful Indian curries especially.
This jeera rice is the popular rice dish in Indian restaurants. This mild rice is especially a part of buffet menu in most restaurants. Even in south India jeera rice is served in wedding reception buffet these days.
Making jeera rice is very easy especially in pressure cooker. While you are making side dish you can easily make this rice side by side in the cooker. It is a very easy preparation where soaked and drained basmati rice is cooked with cumin and other whole spices. As a result we get fluffy and delicious rice with cumin flavor.
While it is very easy to this rice at home yet there are few points to remember for making the best jeera rice recipe.
Tips for making perfect jeera rice recipe along with variations:
- The quality of basmati rice is very crucial. use good quality aged basmati rice.
- Rinse the rice really well and drain thoroughly. Also fan dry the rice for 15 minutes before using in the recipe.
- The amount of water required to cook the rice varies with the quality of rice.
- While you can use oil to make this recipe yet ghee is the best choice for jeera rice. Also make sure to heat the ghee really well before adding the cumin seeds.
- For more flavor you can add chopped onions but there are no onions in authentic jeera rice recipe.
- You can also butter instead of ghee.
There are usually two methods to make jeera rice.
- To cook the rice along with spices in pot or pressure cooker or rice cooker.
- In the second method rice is steamed first. You should then prepare a tempering with cumin seeds and other ingredients. Cooked rice is quickly tossed and mixed well. This method is good when you have left over rice. With this you can easily make jeera rice with cooked rice that is leftover.
- As a third method you can easily make this rice in rice cooker. Just add the tempering of cumin seeds and other spices first. Then add rice and water to the rice cooker. Add tempering and salt. Finally switch on the rice cooker and follow the same procedure as you will for regular rice.
Video of jeera rice recipe:
How to make jeera rice recipe with step by step photos.
Preparing the rice
Rinse basmati rice thoroughly. Soak in plenty of water for 30 minutes. Drain and dry the rice under the fan for 10 minutes spread as a single layer.
Making jeera rice in pressure cooker:
Heat 2 teaspoons ghee in a pressure cooker.
Once the ghee is hot temper with cumin seeds
Next Add the whole spices one by one and saute till fragrant. Also add slit green chilies and broken cashews.
Now add the drained rice and saute for 2 minutes.
Add 3 1/2 cups water and bring to a boil. Season with salt.
Close the pressure cook and cook for up to 3 whistles.
Once the pressure is releases fluff up and serve hot
Jeera rice recipe card below:
- 1 1/4 cup basmati rice
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-3 cardamoms
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 2-3 cloves
- 1 strand mace
- 1 green chili slit
- 2 teaspoons ghee
- Rinse basmati rice thoroughly. Soak in plenty of water for 30 minutes. Drain and dry the rice under the fan for 10 minutes spread as a single layer.
- Heat 2 teaspoons ghee in a pressure cooker.
- Once the ghee is hot temper with cumin seeds
- Add the whole spices one by one and saute till fragrant.
- Add green chili and saute.
- Now add the drained rice and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add 3 1/2 cups water and bring to a boil.
- Close the pressure cook and cook for up to 3 whistles.
- Once the pressure is releases fluff up and serve hot
1. You can cashews as garnish.
2. Finely chopped onions can also be added.