Last updated on January 22nd, 2020
Okra rice or bhindi rice is one of the easiest rice recipes you can make for lunch box. With just very few ingredients and a handful of cooked rice or leftover rice, this okra rice comes together. Moderately spiced and very flavorful bhindi rice is a fuss free choice for lunch. Kids will love this with a simple salad or potato chips. Here is how to make easy okra rice for lunchbox.
Bhindi or okra is the most favorite veggie of my kid. She just loves it and I make it at least twice a week for her. One of the easiest rice recipes I pack in my kid’s lunch box is this okra rice. For such simple preparation this rice is sure a winner.
There are few Kid’s lunchbox rice recipes like this okra rice that I make in rotation like peanut rice, capsicum rice, masala rice, pepper rice, coriander rice, mint rice, paneer fried rice. If your kid like mine does not like mushy preparations like samabr rice or curd rice for school lunch these variety rice recipes are your best bet.
I make this bhindi rice in many ways the flavors and taste. Here I have added few potatoes along with bhindi as aloo bhindi is one of the tastiest combination.
It takes exactly 10 minutes to make this rice once you have chopped veggies and cooked rice. I like to keep the seasoning and spices minimum so that the vegetables shine.
This is an easy recipe with okra that is best for lunchbox. If you have leftover rice you can fix this bhindi rice in no time.
This Okra Rice Recipe Is
Quick, easy and takes 10 minutes
Vegan & gluten free
Healthy, clean & nutritious
Excellent lunchbox option for kids
To make okra rice I usually use the cooked and cooled rice. You can even use leftover rice for this recipe. While I usually use regular raw rice for making bhindi rice, you can also use basmati rice to make it more special.
Along with okra I usually add onions here but it optional. Instead of onions you can a pinch of heeng or asafoetida. But for gluten free okra rice do not include asafoetida.
I usually use sesame oil in many of my rice recipes like lemon rice, coconut rice, mango rice recipes as it imparts wonderful flavor and also good for health. In this okra rice recipe also I have used sesame oil. Sesame oil is very good for growing kids.
This recipe does not use any whole spices. This is a very mild recipe perfect for kids with flavors that they can handle. You don’t need spices like shahjeera or bay leaf that kids will find difficult to eat during lunch hours in school.
How To Make Okra Rice Or Bhindi Rice
1. Pick and rinse okra very well. Pat them dry and chop of the head and tail. Now cut then okra into 1 inch rounds or slightly bigger. Scrub and peel the potatoes. Chop them into cubes as well. You will need 2 cups copped okra and 1 cup cubed potatoes.
2. Keep 1.5 cups cooked and rice ready.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons sesame in a pan. Temper with cumin seeds. Add chopped onions and saute till they turn a bit soft.
4. Now add the chopped okra and potatoes. Mix well and saute for a minute.
5. Season with salt, 1/2 teaspoon each turmeric powder, chili powder and garam masala powder.
7. Mix well.
8. Mix well and cook for 8-10 minutes.
9. Add cooked and cooled rice.
10. Mix well.
11. Serve warm or let okra rice cool down before packing in lunch.
Tips For Making Best Okra Rice
- Rinse and pat dry the okras thoroughly to reduce okra slime
- You can leave out potatoes and just use bhindi if you wish
- For any variety rice recipes use cooked rice that is well cooled
- If your rice is a bit mushy just add few drops of sesame oil and spread on a plate.
- You can add more spice powders for spicy bhindi rice
- The recipe can be doubled or halved.
More Okra Recipes
I hope you will try this okra rice recipe and enjoy as much as we did. P
Okra Rice Recipe
- 1.5 cups cooked and cooled rice Long grain or regular
- 2 cups chopped okra
- 1 cup peeled and cubed potatoes
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- salt to taste
- Pick and rinse okra very well. Pat them dry and chop of the head and tail. Now cut then okra into 1 inch rounds or slightly bigger. Scrub and peel the potatoes. Chop them into cubes as well. You will need 2 cups copped okra and 1 cup cubed potatoes.
- Keep 1.5 cups cooked and rice ready.
- Heat 2 tablespoons sesame in a pan. Temper with cumin seeds. Add chopped onions and saute till they turn a bit soft.
- Now add the chopped okra and potatoes. Mix well and saute for a minute.
- Season with salt, 1/2 teaspoon each turmeric powder, chili powder and garam masala powder.
- Mix well.
- Mix well and cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Add cooked and cooled rice.
- Mix well.
- Serve warm or let okra rice cool down before packing in lunch.
- You can leave out potatoes and make this rice only with okra
- you can double or halve the recipe
- Leftovers can be refrigerated for 2 days and reheated.