Last updated on May 21st, 2019
This veg pulao recipe is delicious, easy and gives you the perfect restaurant style veg pulao every single time. You can make this pilaf very easily for a crowd. With a chockablock of veggies and mild spices, this vegetable pulao will easi;y be the star of any feast!
What Is Pilaf/ Pulao?
Veg pulao recipe is an easy one pot Indian rice pilaf. Pilaf basically means rice cooked in seasoned broth. Popular pulao varieties are veg pulao, chicken pulao, mushroom pulao etc.
In veg pulao recipe, mixed vegetables are used. I have not added any garam masala or spice powders in this veg pulao recipe.The flavor of this pulao comes from whole spices.
This vegetable pulao recipe I am sharing here is restaurant style one. Very mildly spiced, flavorful with correct balance of rice and vegetables. I make this veg pulao recipe very often for lunch box. If you have the chopped vegetables handy this veg pulao is easy to make with in 20 minutes.
On days when we don’t feel like cooking elaborate courses like sambar , rasam we can make this delicious north Indian vegetable pulao. This dish tastes very good with a simple raita or even some crispy vadam.
If you want to include more veggies in the diet of your toddlers and kids, this vegetable pulao is a best one to try. You can even reduce the spices and make this more mild. Kids will love this rice dish with a simple raita or some potato chips.
I have already shared a recipe for easy pressure cooker pulao and this veg pulao recipe is more elaborate and authentic. This is a real easy recipe. I used to make sanjeev kapoor’s veg pulao recipe earlier and like it too.
So do try out this delicious vegetable pulao when you want something quick, delicious and different! Read on for my recipe, tips and notes!
What Is The Difference Between Biryani and Veg Pulao?
While both pulao and biryani are rice recipes with meat or vegetables there is a lot of difference in the way they are made as well as in taste.
Veg pulao is a one pot rice dish where you saute and cook, veggies and rice together with whole spices. The sauteed rice veggie mixture is cooked in water until rice is done and fluffy. vegetable pulao is light, mildly spiced dis with delicate flavors.
Whereas biryani is a more complex dish with elaborate procedure. In biryani rice and veggies are half cooked separately and layered with fried onions, nuts etc. Biryani is made with loads of ghee, so it is rich and heavy.
Which Rice Is Best Suited For Vegetable Pulao?
You can use any long grained rice like basmati rice for making veg pulao. Aged rice works well for this recipe. Soak the basmati rice well in water for 30 minutes, drain and dry in a wide plate before using.
Which Vegetables Can We Use In Veg Pulao Recipe?
Vegetables like potato, carrot, beans, peas and cauliflower can be added in this recipe. You can also add corn, mushrooms can be added. It would be nice to add all the veggies but you can make this pulao with two or more above mentioned veggies. Do not use vegetables like okra, eggplant or tomato in this recipe.
How To Make Veg Pulao In Pressure Cooker?
You can make vegetable pulao easily in a pressure cooker. Just use a pressure cooker base and follow the steps till adding the rice. Add required water, cover and pressure cook for 2 whistles. You can refer this recipe for elaborate steps.
How To Make Vegetable Pulao in Microwave?
To make veg pulao in microwave select a deep microwave safe bowl. Add oil or ghee and microwave for a minute in high. Add the whole spices and micro on high for a minute. Next add the ginger garlic, chilies and onions. Microwave for 2 minutes. Add the veggies, mix well and microwave for 3 minutes. Finally add rice with water and microwave on high for 8-10 minutes. remove and check if the rice is done, else microwave for 2 more minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes and serve hot.
Top Tips For Best Veg Pulao
Here are some simple tips that will take yur vegetable pulao to top notch.
Rice- Always soak the rice well before using. Drain and roast the rice for 2 minutes if possible for best flavor. otherwise drain and dry the rice well on a wide plate before using in the recipe.
lemon juice- You can add few drops of lemon juice along with water. Adding lemon juice makes the rice fluffy and grains separate and cooked rice is more white.
Water- The quantity of water varies depending on how aged is the rice you are using. For very aged riced you can use 2.5 cups water for 1 cup rice. Generally 2 cups of water it is for 1 cup rice. Instead of water you can vegetable broth or thin coconut milk too
Flavor Enhancements- There are many ways you can enhance the flavor of your vegetable pulao.
- add fried onion before serving
- You can add 2 tablespoons saffron infused milk along with water while cooking
- Add 2 tablespoons ghee and mix gently before serving.
What Goes Well With Veg Pulao?
With all these tips and tricks, this is one real easy and best veg pulao recipe you will make at home. Try it out for parties, get together, festivals or just a weekend treat for your family.
Serve veg pulao with onion raita, dhaba dal, palak paneer, korma etc.
You Might Also Like
How To Make Veg Pulao Step by Step
1. Pick and rinse the basmati rice thoroughly. Soak in plenty of water for 1 hour. Drain and spread on a plate.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons oil or ghee in a heavy pan. Add the whole spices and saute for a minute.
3. Add chopped onions and saute well.
4. Add ginger,garlic and green chilies and saute well.
5. Add chopped cilantro leaves and saute for few seconds. Add chopped vegetables and mix well. Cook in open pan for 7-10 minutes.
6. Add the drained basmati rice and saute very well. Saute till all the moisture in rice is gone.
7. Now add 3 1/3 cups of water. Mix well. Add lemon juice. Season with salt. Cook with keeping pan open until thw water starts to boil.
8. Once the water bubbles, close the pan with a tight lid. Cook in low medium flame for about 10-15 minutes. Do not mix more than once in the middle.
9. Once done, keep the pan closed for 10 minutes. Open the pan and fluff up the rice gently.
10. Serve vegetable pulao hot with raita.
Veg Pulao Recipe
Veg pulao recipe is a delicious, mild and gently flavored rice pilaf with veggies, long grained rice and Indian spices. Tastes best when served warm as main course!
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice
- 1 cup chopped vegetables
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
- 2-3 green chilies
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Whole spices
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 green cardamoms
- 1 black cardamom
- 2-3 cloves
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- Pick and rinse the basmati rice thoroughly. Soak in plenty of water for 1 hour. Drain and spread on a plate.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil or ghee in a heavy pan. Add the whole spices and saute for a minute.
- Add chopped onions and saute well.
- Add ginger,garlic and green chilies and saute well.
- Add chopped cilantro leaves and saute for few seconds. Add chopped vegetables and mix well. Cook in open pan for 7-10 minutes.
- Add the drained basmati rice and saute very well. Saute till all the moisture in rice is gone.
- Now add 3 1/3 cups of water. Mix well. Add lemon juice. Season with salt. Cook with keeping pan open until the water starts to boil.
- Once the water bubbles, close the pan with a tight lid. Cook in low medium flame for about 10-15 minutes. Do not mix more than once in the middle.
- Once done, keep the pan closed for 10 minutes. Open the pan and fluff up the rice gently.
Serving Suggestions for veg pulao: Serve with dhaba dal, dal fry or simple raita.