Thakkali thokku recipe or tomato thokku is a easy and delicious tomato pickle from Tamil nadu cuisine. This versatile tomato thokku is a mix of tomatoes with south Indian pickling spices and oil.You can serve it in multiple ways. Here is how to make best thakkali thokku with step by step by photos.
What Is Thakkali Thokku?
Thakkali thokku is popular pickle recipe from south Indian recipe. Among various south Indian pickle recipes this thakkali thokku is my top favorite. Thakkali means tomato in Tamil and thokku is a sort of pickling. This tomato thokku is so easy to make and tastes very delicious.
There are many ways to make thakkali thokku ranging from simple to complex methods. Here I am sharing my usual way of making tomato thokku. It is simple yet very delicious and quick recipe.
Usually we prepare these thokkus in large quantities and store for days together. They keep very well as they are well cooked with good amount of oil and tamarind. Both oil and tamarind are natural preservatives.
If you want to make an instant pickle in 20 minutes that is delicious and flavorful, this recipe is for you.
This Thakkali Thokku Recipe
Can be made gluten free
Is very tasty and flavorful
quick and simple
Store tomato thokku in airtight jar and serve as required. It stays good for a week at room temperature but you can refrigerate it for 10 days. Use a clean dry spoon to serve.
Ingredients You Will Need
Use ripe, red and juice tomatoes. I prefer to use desi tomatoes as they are more juicy and slightly tart. You can either finely chop the tomatoes or puree it. We like chunkier tomato thokku so I chop it a bit finely.
The usual south Indian pickling spices are used in this recipe. Mustard seeds, methi seeds, turmeric powder and red chili powder. If you are making thakkali thokku in large quantities you can dry roast and powder the mustard seeds. Here I have added them as such.
Usually we season this pickle with asafoetida. For gluten free tomato thokku you can use minced garlic as seasoning.
Which Oil Is Best For This Recipe
Sesame oil is the best for south Indian pickles. This oil lends a wonderful as well as it acts as natural preservative. You can however use light olive oil or any vegetable oil in this recipe.
How To Make Thakkali Thokku Recipe Step by Step
Rinse, wipe and chop the tomatoes.
heat 4 tablespoons oil in a heavy pan. Add mustard seeds and let crackle.
Add turmeric powder, chili powder
and saute well.
Now add the chopped tomatoes and mix. Season wit salt and jaggery. Mix well and cook for 8-10 minutes.
The tomatoes should get cooked, turn mushy and release oil from sides. Finally add remaining oil and mix well. remove from flame.
Cool and store airtight.
Top Tips For Best Thakkali Thokku
- Use good ripe tomatoes for best tasting thokku
- Adding a small pinch of jaggery rounds off the flavor.
- Do not leave out tamarind as it acts as natural preservative
- Add more oil if you want to store thokku for more days
- The recipe can be doubled.
More South Indian Recipes
Thakkali Thokku Recipe
Thakkali Thokku Recipe
1 CUP = 250 ml
- 10 large ripe tomatoes
- small lemon sized tamarind 1 tablespoon thick extract or paste
- 6 tablespoons sesame oil divided
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon methi seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon jaggery
- salt to taste
- Rinse, wipe and chop the tomatoes.
- heat 4 tablespoons oil in a heavy pan. Add mustard seeds and let crackle.
- Add turmeric powder, chili powder and saute well.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and mix. Season wit salt and jaggery. Mix well and cook for 8-10 minutes.
- The tomatoes should get cooked, turn mushy and release oil from sides. Finally add remaining oil and mix well. remove from flame. Cool and store airtight.