Veg puff recipe – a very easy and best recipe for making bakery style veg puff or curry puff at home from scratch. Crispy, flaky veg puff with spicy vegetable filling tastes delicious with ginger tea or masala tea. Most of us would have enjoyed bakery veg puffs and here is how to make best veg puff at home with step by step photos.
Going to the local bakery and enjoying the yummy snacks was a big part of our childhood. The bakery near by our home served an array of most delicious snacks like this veg puff, veg rolls, honey cake, gulkand cake, coconut cookies, spicy buns, butter cake, jam rolls and many more.
This veg puff used to be out staple snack during our stop at this bakery. There used to many varieties of puffs like paneer puff, mushroom puffs but we always had this super spicy curry puffs.
Later when I started to cook, I learnt to make veg puffs at home and I have been making since then. I learnt to make puff pastry sheets from our neighbor and the filling for veg puff is really easy.
Once you get hold of making veg puff pastry sheets at home, you can make many varieties of puffs like this vegetable puff, pizza puff, mushroom puffs in no time. The best part is you can make puff pastry well ahead and store. Making the filling barely takes 15 minutes.
Veg puff is an easy yet very impressive snack to serve with an espresso, filter coffee or masala chai. Kids will love this vegetable puff with some flavored milk like pista milk, chocolate drink, badam milk or milkshakes as an after school snack.
This Veg Puff Recipe Is
Easy, clean, hygienic and homemade from scratch.
Egg free & 100 & vegetarian
Crispy, flaky & absolutely delicious
Puff pastry can be made ahead.
Kid friendly snack
Best snack for parties.
To make veg puffs recipe you need very few simple ingredients.
- puff pastry sheet needs just water, flour and butter
- For filling you just need mixed veggies and few spices.
I had to let go all my doubts and come out of my comfort zone to try this veg puff recipe with homemade puff pastry sheet. I had always a thought making homemade puff pastry sheet is a difficult task.
But once I tried it I was proved wrong. Making puff pastry sheet of course take time, it needs a bit of patience but definitely easy to make.
We just need to take care of temperature of the ingredients we use and how gently the dough is handled.
Making Puff Pastry Sheet At home.
I learnt to make puff pastry sheet from our neighbour many years back. This is a real easy and fool proof recipe to make puff pastry sheet at home. I followed the recipe to T and got beautiful puff pastry with multiple layers. I am still tweaking a bit on the recipe to reduce the amount of butter. So I am not updating the recipe for puff pastry sheet here.
There are many videos on making puff pastry sheets from scratch or you can even use store bought sheets.
Here is a collage of making puff pastry sheet at home.
With the given recipe, I made two varieties of puff. One is spicy and tasty Indian bakery style veg puff recipe and other one is pizza puff recipe.
I was astonished by the result of the puffs. Crispy delicate outer layer with so many flaky layer, just like what you get in shops. The veg filling is a quick and easy one but very tasty.
What Goes In The Filling Of Veg Puff?
As the name goes, the filling of this vegetable puff is a spicy veg masala made with a mix of veggies and regular spice powders. You can vary the flavors and make this filling to suit your taste.
To make filling for veg puff you can use mix of vegetables like potato, carrot, peas, beans etc. Apart from veggies you can also add chopped paneer, mushrooms too.
The spice powders used are regular ones like garam masala powder, turmeric power and red chili powder.
How To Make Veg Puff Recipe.
Preparing veg Masala For Veg Puffs
1.First prepare puff pastry sheet and refrigerate till use. Always keep the sheet in freezer if storing for more than 2 days.
2. Now to make the filling, boil, peel and mash the potatoes. Heat a pan with 1 tablespoon oil. Temper with cumin seeds. Add crushed ginger and green chilies. Add chopped onions and saute well.
3. Add chopped carrots and boiled green peas. Saute well, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
4. Add mashed potatoes, salt, coriander powder, garam masala and mix well.
5. Cook for 5 more minutes. Add cilantro leaves, lemon juice and mix well. Allow to cool for 15 minutes.
To Stuff And Shape The Veg Puffs
5. To begin making veg puff, take the refrigerated puff pastry dough.
6. Sprinkle some flour and roll into a thin sheet.
7. Cut as shown in picture.
8. Apply water over the edges and brush with a basting brush.
9. Keep 1 1/2 teaspoon filling on each square of veg puff pastry.
10. Bring the edges together and make a square or triangle veg puff. Seal the edges well. Arrange these veg puffs on a well greased baking tray. refrigerate for 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 220 C or 450 F
11. Before baking give a milk wash to shaped veg puffs. Bake in the hot oven for 12-15 minutes. The top of the veg puffs will be crispy, golden and flaky.
12. Serve veg puff hot. You can also pack veg puff in tiffin
You might also like
I hope you will try this veg puff recipe and enjoy as much as we did. P
Veg puff recipe
Veg puff recipe Indian bakery style
- 1/2 recipe puff pastry dough
- For filling
- 1 medium potato
- 1 small carrot
- 1/4 cup green peas
- 1 medium onion
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Milk and water for brushing
- First prepare puff pastry sheet and refrigerate till use. Always keep the sheet in freezer if storing for more than 2 days. I have not reproduced the recipe here. I exactly followed this recipe. Here is a collage of makin puff pastry sheet.
- Now to make the filling, boil, peel and mash the potatoes. Heat a pan with 1 tablespoon oil. Temper with cumin seeds. Add crushed ginger and green chilies. Add chopped onions and saute well.
- Add chopped carrots and boiled green peas. Saute well, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add mashed potatoes, salt, coriander powder, garam masala and mix well. Cook for 5 more minutes. Add cilantro leaves, lemon juice and mix well. Allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- Now take the refrigerated puff pastry dough. Sprinkle some flour and roll into a thin sheet.
- Cut as shown in picture.
- Apply water over the edges and brush with a basting brush.
- Keep 1 1/2 teaspoon filling on each square.
- Bring the edges together and make a square or triangle puff. Seal the edges well. Arrange these puffs on a well greased baking tray. refrigerate for 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 220C
- Before baking give a milk wash to shaped puffs. Bake in the hot oven for 12-15 minutes. The top will turn crispy, golden and flaky. Serve veg puff hot.
2. You can any filling of your choice