Last updated on July 18th, 2019
Beetroot raita– a healthy and refreshing summer special south Indian dip with grated beets and yogurt. This raita is a wineer in many ways- attractive, delicious , easy and healthy! With typical south Indian flavors this raita or yogurt dip goes very well rice or as a simple snack. Here is how to make best beetroot raita to home.
Beetroot as to be one of the tuber vegetable that you either love or hate. At our home we all luckily love beets and I use it in many ways like soup, cutlet, cookies, halwa, chips , juice etc. Fresh and juicy beets are so versatile and you can utilize them in many more ways than just salad or poriyal.
I always get a stash of lovely organic beets with leaves during my vegetable shopping. With immense health benefits and loaded nutrition, it is always good to include beets in our diet on regular basis.
Come summer this beetroot raita often makes an appearance on our table. Raita is Indian yogurt dip with or without a tempering. This raita with beetroot has a typical south Indian tempering and goes very well with rice like biryani, pulao or masala rice. Basically you can serve this cooling raita with any spicy food.
This Beetroot Raita Recipe Is
Gluten Free & vegetarian
Healthy & wholesome
Very delicious & flavorful
Can be made vegan by using non dairy yogurt
Very attractive for kids
What Goes In Making Beetroot Raita?
The ingredients you need to make beetroot raita are very basic and pantry staples. Other than beetroots you just need plain thick curd or yogurt, salt, green chilies, mustard, curry leaves and urad dal.
As beets are sweet in nature, I like to make this raita a bit spicy by adding more chilies. While you make this raita for toddlers and kids you can reduce the chilies or just skip them altogether.
How To Make Beetroot Raita?
To make begin beetroot raita, begin with peeling and grating the beets. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a pan and temper with mustard seeds and urad dal. Once the lentils turn golden add curry leaves and slit green chilies. Saute well. Add the grated beets and required salt. Saute briefly for 3-4 minutes. Let this cool thoroughly.
Whisk 2 cups fresh thick curd until smooth. Add the sauteed and cooled ingredients and mix well. Chill the beetroot raita until serving.
Some Variations You Can Try With This Recipe
- With boiled beets- instead of sauteed beets you can boil the beets and finely chop them. You can also puree the boiled beets and add to the curd. Make the tempering separately and add to the beetroot raita
- Roasted beets- You can oven roast finely chopped beets and puree them for a different flavor.
- Onions- saute 1/2 cup finely chopped onions along with beets for flavor variation
- Carrots- use 1 cup grated carrots along with beets for colorful raita
Some Tips To Make This Recipe Perfectly
- Beetroot raita tastes best when served chilled. Keeping the raita refrigerated also prevents the curd from turning sour.
- For any raita recipe use fresh thick curd for best result
- You can double or triple the recipe proportionately
- Store any leftovers in refrigerator and use within a day.
More Raita Recipes You Might Like
Beetroot Raita Recipe
Beetroot Raita Recipe
- 1 cup peeled and grated beetroot
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon urad dal
- 10 curry leaves
- 2 green chilies slit
- salt to taste
- 2 cups fresh curd plain yogurt
- Scrub, peel and grate the beetroots and measure 1 cup.
- heat 2 teaspoons oil in a pan.
- Temper with mustard seeds and urad dal. Also saute curry leaves and slit green chilies.
- Next add grated beets and required salt. Saute briefly for 3-4 minutes. let cool thoroughly.
- Whisk the curd until smooth and add to the cooled sauteed ingredients.
- Mix well and chill until serving. Serve beetroot raita as side dish