Pasta soup recipe is a comforting, delicious and flavorful dinner you can fix easily. This vegetable pasta soup is a perfect dinner for monsoon or winter evenings when we crave something hot and comforting. Unlike white sauce loaded heavy ones from the restaurants, this homemade pasta soup is light, clean and flavorful.
Serve with a salad and a piece of toast or garlic bread for comforting lunch or dinner or supper for everyone. Here is how to make best pasta soup at home!
Pasta recipes are always welcome at our home, my kid loves pasta. So along with indulgent white sauce pasta I have few recipes handy that have pasta as well as veggies sneaked in. I find pasta as a wonderful medium to sneak in loads of vegetables.
Soup with pasta is one of my favorite dishes with pasta to both cook and eat. I make it in many ways and here I am two ways of making pasta soup recipe.
About This Recipe
Pasta soup is a delicious and comforting dish where perfectly cooked aldente pasta is served in a base of warn soup. There are many ways to make soupy pasta though.
Most popular ones being chicken pasta soup, there are also many vegetarian variations for the same. I make it two ways mostly. One is the detailed method shared here for making creamy yet light on tummy soupy pasta and another one easy vegetable pasta soup recipe.
This veg pasta soup is a family favorite that combines the goodness of vegetables and pasta. Unlike the restaurant ones, this homemade soup is full of vegetables, flavorful and very delicious.
Also this is a very light pasta soup without any butter or white sauce. The whole recipe is made just with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Also this is a vegan recipe and you can make it gluten free by using gluten free pasta. You can however add some grated parmesan cheese before serving.
This is a perfect make ahead dinner too. Make the soup base ready whenever you have time. At the time of serving just boil pasta, reheat the soup and serve 🙂
This Veg Pasta Soup Recipe Is
Quick to make, takes less than 30 minutes
Vegan & can be made gluten free
Delicious, flavorful and healthy
To make pasta soup recipe, I followed my mixed vegetable soup recipe and added fork tender cooked pasta to it and simmered for few minutes.
This is a very basic and easy pasta soup recipe. Feel free to add or leave out veggies as per your taste, the seasoning can also varied to taste.
The ingredients for making vegetable pasta soup are mostly pantry staple ones. It requires loads of fresh vegetables, olive oil, black pepper and salt only. Here I have used water for cooking the vegetables but you can also use vegetable broth or even any meat broth.
I have used mixed pasta spices along with salt and pepper powder. I have used potatoes, carrots and sweet corn kernels. You can add peas, beans, cauliflower too.
I have made this soup very mild as I made this for my daughter. It is seasoned just with a dash of salt and freshly cracked black pepper. If you are making this for adults or even house parties you can easily vary the seasonings.
For spicier pasta try adding a dash of red chili powder or cayenne pepper or paprika. Also you can add dried herbs or Italian seasonings for flavor.
You can serve this pasta soup as a main meal as this is loaded with vegetables and pasta, I suggest you serve this pasta soup hot as it tastes very nice and comforting when served hot.
How To Make Pasta Soup Recipe
Heat a small pressure cooker with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Saute roughly chopped onions for few minutes.
Next add diced tomatoes and saute well for 3-5 minutes.
Add the roughly chopped veggies and saute well, till the oil coats the vegetables.
Add about 3/4 cup water to the sautéed vegetables and bring to a boil. Close the pressure cooker and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles. If using an instant pot cook for 5 minutes in pressure cook or manual mode with pressure valve seasled.
In the meanwhile bring 2 cups of water to boil in a pot. Add few drops of oil and a pinch of salt. Add 1/2 cup pasta. Cook the pasta until al dente or it is soft yet holds the shape well.
Once the vegetables are cooked and pressure is released, drain the cooked vegetables and reserve the stock.
Puree the cooked vegetables , add some reserved stock to ease the grinding.
Return the pureed vegetables to the same pressure cooker, add the reserved stock and cook for 8-10 minutes. Add salt and pepper powder to taste.
Once the soup is thickened, add the cooked pasta and simmer for 4- minutes. Add dried pasta herbs and mix well.
Serve pasta soup hot, you can some grated cheese if required while serving.
Cooking Pasta-The pasta should be cooked al dente which means it is cooked yet has a bite. Make sure to cook pasta a minute or two less than the package instructions. You can add few drops of oil to make pasta non sticky.
For more flavor along with onions you can also saute few garlic cloves. Just peel, mince and saute along with onions. You can also
You can make the soup base a day before and refrigerate. You can also use leftover soup to make this soupy pasta. The soup base freezes well and can be frozen for 2 months.
Instead of water you can add vegetable stock or chicken broth to boil the vegetables. I have used water only. For more flavor and color you can add 1-2 tablespoons tomato sauce or paste in soups.
The recipe can be doubled or halved.
Frequently Asked Questions
For this recipe you can use any kind of pasta. Here I have used fusilli. You can also use penne, elbow, bow tie pasta or macaroni.
While making for toddlers I suggest you use mini elbow as it it easy to eat. You can even use those tiny alphabet or numerals pasta for fun while making for kids.
As mentioned above you can use potatoes, onion, peppers, corn, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, beets. Few more options are squash of any kind, pumpkin, spinach leaves, green beans.
This recipe as such makes a light pasta soup. To make it more hearty and filling you can add one of the followings.
1. tossed paneer cubes while serving
2. grated cheese while serving
3. sautéed mushrooms
4. Cooked beans like cannellini beans, kidney beans or even chickpeas fill make the soup super filling.
5. you can also serve this soup as such with toasted bread and avocado salad for a filling meal.
To make cheesy pasta soup you can either stir in some cream cheese while the soup is simmering or add some grated parmesan cheese just before.
Yes, prepare the soup according to the package instructions and add cooked pasta.
You Might Also Like
PASTA SOUP- VEGETABLE SOUPY PASTA
1 CUP = 250 ml
- 1 cup pasta any cut
- 1 potato large, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 carrot peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup sweet corn
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried pasta herbs
- Pepper powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Heat a small pressure cooker with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Saute roughly chopped onions for few minutes.
- Next add chopped tomatoes and saute well for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the roughly chopped veggies and saute well, till the oil coats the vegetables.
- Add about 3/4 cup water to the sauteed vegetables and bring to a boil. Close the pressure cooker and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles.
- In the meanwhile bring 2 cups of water to boil in a pot. Add few drops of oil and a pinch of salt. Add 1/2 cup pasta and cook for 7-8 minutes until just tender. Drain and keep the cooked pasta closed until use. Do not cook for more time, else the pasta will turn mushy when simmered with soup.
- Once the vegetables are cooked and pressure is released, drain the cooked vegetables and reserve the stock.
- Puree the cooked vegetables , add some reserved stock to ease the grinding.
- Return the pureed vegetables to the same pressure cooker, add the reserved stock and cook for 8-10 minutes. Add salt and pepper powder to taste.
- Once the soup is thickened, add the cooked pasta and simmer for 4- minutes. Add dried pasta herbs and mix well. Serve pasta soup hot, you can some grated cheese if required while serving.
2. Make sure the pasta is not mushy while adding to the soup.