Last updated on March 3rd, 2019
Rose milk is the most simple, flavorful and loved refreshing summer drink. Rose milk is an aromatic chilled milk flavored with rose syrup. You will love this perfect thirst quencher that too when served with loads of ice cubes.
This rose milk brings back so many sweet memories. while growing up this was the only exotic drink we had access to 🙂 Especially during summer holidays we use drink up loads and loads of this refreshing drink skipping the regular hot milk.
On summers, inevitable we will have rose milk or pistachio milk every single day. It was an absolute treat for us.
What Is Rose Milk?
Indian rose milk is a flavored drink made with chilled milk and rose syrup. The rose syrup is usually mixture of sugar, rose water and good quality edible rose petals. My mom used to prepare this rose syrup every year so that we can have this drink as often as we wanted.
You can easily prepare rose syrup for rose milk at home. I am sharing a quick recipe below if you want to try at home. This is my mom’s recipe that she has tried and tested for years.
You can easily prepare rose milk with rose syrup from stores or even rose essence and sugar.
How To Make Rose Syrup
1. Pick and clean 3 cups of tightly packed pink rose petals (country variety, preferably organic) very well.
2. Soak the cleaned rose petals in 10 cups of water for 12 hours.
3. After 12 hours heat the mixture gently. Add 2 teaspoons edible rose water, few drops of pink red food color, 6 cups sugar and mix well.
4. Simmer till the mixture reaches syrupy consistency. Strain and cool thoroughly. My mom usually stores this in fridge as there are no preservatives. Use clean dry spoon always.
5. Apart from using in this drink you can use this rose syrup in rose lassi, royal falooda, popsicle, ice creams, to drizzle on top of fruit salads. I also use a small amount of rose syrup while making fruit custard.
This rose milk recipe I am sharing now however uses store bought syrup. I get very good quality organic syrup so I usually do not prepare rose syrup at home. You can use any type of rose syrup to make this drink. You can also use rooh afza but the flavor will be different from traditional drink.
Variations With Rose Milk Recipe
To make this drink healthier you can use rooh afza instead of store bought rose syrup.
With Sabja Seeds
To make the drink more cooling you can make rose milk with sabja seeds. Just soak 2 teaspoons sabja seeds in water for 20 minutes, drain and add to the drink before serving.
With Ice Cream
You can serve this drink topped with vanilla ice cream or rose ice cream. You can also blend milk, ice cream and rose syrup together and serve.
To make the drink more rich you can add 2 tablespoons khoya or pal khova to the milk and blend well. Add rose syrup to this milk and make rose milk
Top Tips For Making Best Rose Milk
Always use full fat milk for rich rose milk
Rose milk tastes best when made slightly sweeter.
Serve with ice cubes. Add ice cubes just before serving
You can make this ahead and refrigerate for a day.
More summer drinks you might like
How to make rose milk recipe (step by step)
1. First of all bring the whole milk to a boil. Let it cool a bit and then refrigerate for an hour or two.
2. Add rose syrup to the chilled milk and mix well.
3. Add ice cubes and serve.
Rose Milk Recipe
Rose milk- The most popular and favorite Indian summer drink.
- 1 cup milk boiled and chilled
- 3 tablespoons rose syrup
- ice cubes for serving
- First of all bring the whole milk to a boil. Let it cool a bit and then refrigerate for an hour or two.
- Add rose syrup to the chilled milk and mix well.
- Add ice cubes and serve.