Last updated on September 18th, 2019
Cheese balls recipe with step by step photos. Crispy, delicious and cheesy snack made with potatoes, flour and grated cheese. These cheese balls are easy to make, hassle free and a super hit snack at any party. Serve these cheese balls as starter or snack with any dip and enjoy! here is an easy step wise recipe to make best cheese ball! You can deep fry, shallow fry or even bake them.
Cheese balls are my kid’s favorite snack and I make it for her occasionally. These are a super hit snack at home and I often serve it as after school snack with beet soup, tomato soup during winter and some chilled pista milk or mango milk during summer.
I first tasted cheese balls in a small cafe and loved it. it was a bot spicy with mild cheese just like how I like it. Then I tasted it in few other restaurants but they were overly rich with loads of cheese or sometimes very doughy. That’s when I perfected this homemade cheese ball recipe. Crispy, with right amount of cheese and spice.
These cheese balls are perfect party snack. Not only they taste very good but you can also make them ahead and fry or bake just before the event.
While I am sharing the step wise recipes for fried cheese balls here, you can also pan fry them or bake them.Some times I use my appam pan to fry them.
This Cheese Balls Recipe Is
Easy, quick & simple
Crispy, delicious and perfectly spiced
Vegetarian party snack
Kid friendly wholesome snack
Easy make ahead starter
There are many variations in basic cheese balls recipe. Usually potato and grated cheese remain the common ingredients.
For binding I prefer to use a mix of plain flour and corn flour. I do not like to use gram flour for binding as the cheese balls taste more like pakoda.
In this easy cheese ball recipe I have used bread and few tablespoons of maida for binding. The amount of cheese used in this cheese ball recipe is really a personal choice.
If you want to make cheese balls that is very rich and gooey, add 3/4 cup grated cheese else reduce it to 1/2 cup.
These cheese balls remain crispy and fresh for long time. So they make for a great make ahead starter. However you can shape the balls a day before and fry them just before serving too. This way you can serve them piping hot.
This recipe yields truly best cheese balls. Super crispy exterior with a cheesy and gooey center that is so flavorful. Once you try this you will never go back for those cheese balls in restaurants.
Another delicious variation of this recipe is cheese corn balls. Do try this easy cheese ball recipe for toddlers and kids as a tasty, fun and attractive snack.
Few more party snacks that you might like are
Cheese Balls Ingredients
To make cheese ball recipe, I have used regular grated cheese. You can use cheese cubes or even grated cheddar cheese.
The spices that go into the making of this cheese ball is also very versatile and you can use any kind of spices you prefer. Here I have used Indian spices like grated ginger-garlic, along with pepper and chaat masala powder.
Few other spice variations you can try is use fresh parsley, mint leaves or dried herbs along with pepper powder.
Can I Shallow Fry Cheese Balls?
Traditionally cheese balls are deep fried. You can easily shallow fry them however.
Just heat 3-4 tablespoons oil in a small shallow frying pan. Add 2-3 balls at a time and shallow fry in low flame.
Shallow frying the cheese balls should be done in low flame and hence time consuming. But you can There are few
How To Bake The Cheese Balls
Prepare the cheese balls as mentioned in the recipe.
Preheat oven at 190 C.
Arrange the cheese balls in a greased baking tray and bake for 18-20 minutes or until crispy.
After 12 minutes of baking gently flip and turn the balls.
Why Do Cheese Balls Break While Frying:
Cheese balls break in oil if the oil is not hot enough while frying. The oil should be hot but not smoking.
Maintain medium flame while frying.
Once the oil is hot try frying one cheese ball. If it breaks, reduce the temperature remove the broken cheese ball from the oil first. Once the temperature of oil is reduced a bit try frying again.
Also after shaping the balls refrigerate them for 30 minutes so that they bind well. The balls will break in oil if they are not tight enough while frying.
Also roll the balls as smooth as possible to avoid cheese breaking out in the oil
Recipe Notes and Tips:
Mash the boiled potatoes really well. Use a potato masher or the back of a big ladle and mash them. There should not be big or small pieces of potatoes in the mixture.
Adding some corn flour along with plain flour yields crispy cheese balls. If you want avoid plain flour you can use gram flour but the taste will differ.
If you want to avoid bread you can use rice flour or poha crumbs for binding. Adding poha crumbs will yield crispier cheese balls. I mostly roll shaped cutlets over poha crumbs when making for the kid.
Adding coriander or cilantro leaves elevates the flavor and taste well, do not skip them
One very important tip is to not crowd the pan while frying. Depending on the size of the pan fry 3-6 cheese balls at time.
Especially if you are shallow frying fry no more than 3 at a time.
Finally, you can coat the shaped balls in bread or panko crumbs for super crispy exterior. You can also double fry them for parties.
More Cheese Snack Recipes:
How To Make Cheese Balls Recipe Step by Step
1. Boil, peel and mash the potatoes thoroughly. Pressure cook the potatoes up to 3-4 whistles. Peel and mash the potatoes very well.
2. Remove the edges of the bread and crumble it coarsely. Add grated cheese and mix well. Add 1-2 tablespoons all purpose flour/maida. Mix well, do not add water.
3. Add cilantro leaves, salt, pepper powder and chaat masala powder. Mix well and knead like a dough.
4. Heat oil for deep frying. Divide the prepared dough mixture into 8-9 equal sized portions. Roll each portion into a smooth ball.
5. Slide the prepared balls into the hot oil and deep fry. Turn the balls gently wile frying.
6. Deep fry until all the balls turn into golden brown. Drain the excess oil and serve cheese ball piping hot.
I hope you will try this cheese balls recipe and enjoy as much as we did. P
Cheese Ball Recipe
Cheese Balls Recipe
- 3/4 cup grated cheese increase up to 1 cup for more cheesy balls
- 2 medium potatoes
- 2 white bread slices
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chaat masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed herbs
- Oil to deep fry
Making The Cheese Balls
- Boil, peel and mash the potatoes thoroughly. Pressure cook the potatoes up to 3-4 whistles, peel and mash the potatoes very well.
- Remove the edges of the bread and crumble it coarsely. Add grated cheese and mix well. Add 1-2 tablespoons all purpose flour/maida. Mix well, do not add water.
- Add cilantro leaves, salt, pepper powder and chaat masala powder. Mix well and knead like a dough.
Frying The Cheese Balls
- Heat oil for deep frying. Divide the prepared dough mixture into 8-9 equal sized portions. Roll each portion into a smooth ball.
- Slide the prepared balls into the hot oil and deep fry. Turn the balls gently wile frying.
- Deep fry until all the balls turn into golden brown. Drain the excess oil and serve cheese ball piping hot.
To Bake The Cheese Balls
- Prepare the cheese balls as mentioned in the recipe. Preheat oven at 190 C.
- Arrange the cheese balls in a greased baking tray and bake for 18-20 minutes or until crispy.
- After 12 minutes of baking gently flip and turn the balls.
2. You can use paniyaram kal/ appe pan to fry cheese balls with less oil.