Bedmi puri is delicious deep fried flatbread made with whole wheat flour and skinned black gram. This is a very popular street food of north India. Bedmi poori is usually served with spicy and runny potato curry called rasedar aloo. The combination is known as bedmi aloo. Here is how you can make easy bedmi puri recipe at home.
I first tasted this bedmi puri or urad dal puri in Delhi and have been hooked to it ever since. Slightly crispy and spicy poori flavored with ginger and green chilies is a real treat to the taste buds. This urad dal puri is similar to kashta kachori, just that moong dal is used in kachori.
Served with very mildly spiced aloo curry, this is a very very tasty and wholesome meal that makes for a good breakfast or lunch. Moreover this entire combination is no onion garlic and vegan. Well suited for festivals.
This Bedmi Poori Recipe Is
Aromatic, crispy and very delicious
Moderately spiced & flavorful
Vegan, no onion garlic recipe
Makes for good breakfast or lunch
Good for kids, urad dal is very healthy for growing kids.
There are two ways to make this bedmi poori. You can either
- mix the urad dal paste with wheat flour
- or make plain roti dough and stuff the urad dal paste like stuffed paratha.
I usually mix the urad dal paste with wheat flour as it easy to roll and less work. In some places they double this bedmi poori, Double fried pooris are more crispy for long.
How To Serve Bedmi Poori?
This puri has all the seasoning in it and is moderately spiced. It tastes wonderful on its own when it warm and crispy.
How To Make Bedmi Puri?
Rinse and soak urad dal for 4-5 hours.
Drain and take in a mixer jar along with peeled ginger and chopped green chilies.
Grind to a smooth paste.
Add the urad dal paste, wheat flour, chopped coriander leaves, red chili powder, garam masala powder.
Add water slowly and make a soft yet stiff dough.
Pinch equal sized balls and roll into thin circles.
Heat oil for deep frying.
Slide one circle at a time and fry over medium flame.
Fry from both sides until crispy and golden.
Serve bedmi puri warm or hot.
More Street Food Recipes
I hope you will try this bedmi puri recipe and enjoy as much as we did. P
Bedmi Puri Recipe
Bedmi Puri Recipe
- 3/4 cup urad dal skinned split black gram
- 1/2 inch peeled ginger
- 2 slit green chilies
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- salt to taste
- oil for deep frying
- Rinse and soak urad dal for 4-5 hours.
- Drain and take in a mixer jar along with peeled ginger and chopped green chilies.
- Grind to a smooth paste.
- Add the urad dal paste, wheat flour, chopped coriander leaves, red chili powder, garam masala powder.
- Add water slowly and make a soft yet stiff dough.
- Pinch equal sized balls and roll into thin circles.
- Heat oil for deep frying.
- Slide one circle at a time and fry over medium flame.
- Fry from both sides until crispy and golden.
- Serve bedmi puri warm or hot.
- You can double or halve the recipe
- Adjust spice level as per taste