Last updated on August 30th, 2019
Palak rice recipe or palak pulao recipe is a healthy and tasty one pot recipe made with Indian spinach leaves or palak leaves. This is a very easy to make mild rice that goes well with a raita or veg curry. Palak rice is best to pack in lunch for toddlers and kids. To add some texture and taste I have added some paneer cubes in this palak pulao. Here is how to make palak rice recipe with step by step photos.
Palak pulao recipe is best for those who want to add more spinach in their diet and make sure it is tasty too. The other day when I had a bunch of spinach and I fixed this palak rice for lunch in 20 minutes flat.
Yes with just very simple ingredients and 20 minutes time you can sort your dinner or lunch. Green palak pulao with specs of paneer cubes is not only tasty, also visually pleasing and healthy.
I made palak rice recipe in similar lines of palak paneer. Addition of paneer cubes towards the end takes this palak pulao to a whole new level. I like to add few paneer cubes in pulao recipes as garnish. Adding paneer cubes in pulao recipes adds more taste and nutrition especially for toddlers and kids.
One more interesting version is Sanjeev kapoor’s palak pulao recipe.
Serve palak rice hot or warm with raita or veg curry. You can also pack this rice in toddlers and kids lunch box.
Spinach greens are loaded with nutrition and it is must for growing toddlers and kids. You can prepare so many tasty and fun recipes with spinach.
I try to include greens in our diet regularly and some delicious spinach recipes shared in the blog are
Palak Rice Ingredients
The ingredients used for making palak rice are very simple pantry staples.
Basmati rice is suited best for all pulao recipes. You can use any other long grained rice or even regular raw rice.
To make palak pulao recipe, I have used whole spices and ginger garlic paste. No garam masala is used here.
You can use Indian spinach leaves or a mix of methi and spinach leaves in this recipe
Adding paneer is optional but recommended.
Recipes Notes, Tips and Suggestions:
For best palak rice use fresh and tender palak leaves. Blanching the palak leaves with a bit of sugar retains green color.
To make palak pulao rich you can garnish with fried potato cubes, fried onions or fried cashews too.
Vegans can use tofu cubes or leave out paneer.
Soak the basmati rice for at least an hour and drain well before using.
You can cook palak pulao in a pressure pan or any heavy kadai with tight lid. I usually cook pulao in a big and heavy kadai. Make sure the kadai is big enough else the rice grains will break.
I have given approximate quantity for water. Adjust water according to the quality of your rice.
Finally, the recipe can be doubled or tripled.
More Rice Recipes
How To Make Palak Rice Recipe Step by Step
1. Wash the spinach leaves thoroughly. Soak basmati rice in water for 1 hour. Drain and spread on a wide plate.
2. Bring plenty of water to boil. Add a pinch of salt and 1/2 teaspoon sugar. Add the washed spinach leaves and blanch for 5 minutes.
3. Drain the leaves and take in a mixer jar. Add peeled ginger,garlic and green chilies. Grind to smooth puree.
4. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a kadai. Add bay leaf, cardamom and cinnamon stick. Fry for 2-3 minutes.
5. Add finely chopped onions and fry till color changes slightly.
6. Add the spinach puree and mix well.
7. Cook for 10-12 minutes keeping the pan open.
8. Add drained rice and mix well. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
9. Add 2 1/4 cups water. Season with salt. Let the water boil.
10. Once the water starts to boil, close the pan and maintain low flame.
11. Cook till the rice is completely done.
12. While the pulao is cooking, fry 1/2 cup paneer cubes in little oil.
13. Once the pulao is done add the fried paneer cubes. toss very gently.
14. Serve palak pulao with curd or raita.
Palak Rice Recipe
Palak pulao recipe | how to make palak pulao, spinach pulao recipe.
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice
- 2 cups spinach leaves tightly packed
- 1 big onion finely sliced
- 2 green chilies
- 1 small piece ginger peeled
- 3-4 garlic cloves peeled
- 1/2 cup paneer cubes
- 2 tablespoon oil
- Wash the spinach leaves thoroughly. Soak basmati rice in water for 1 hour. Drain and spread on a wide plate.
- Bring plenty of water to boil. Add a pinch of salt and 1/2 teaspoon sugar. Add the washed spinach leaves and blanch for 5 minutes.
- Drain the leaves and take in a mixer jar. Add peeled ginger,garlic and green chilies. Grind to smooth puree.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a kadai. Add bay leaf, cardamom and cinnamon stick. Fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add finely chopped onions and fry till color changes slightly.
- Add the spinach puree ad mix well.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes keeping the pan open.
- Add drained rice and mix well. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add 2 1/4 cup water. Season with salt. Let the water boil.
- Once the water starts to boil, close the pan and maintain low flame.
- Cook till the rice is completely done. Takes around 10 minutes
- While the pulao is cooking, fry 1/2 cup paneer cubes in little oil.
- Once the pulao is done add the fried paneer cubes. toss very gently.
- Serve palak pulao with curd or raita.
2. You can add some cilantro leaves along with spinach
Are you making this recipe? Do snap a pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #cookclickndevou.