Mint tea with milk and fresh mint leaves. This Indian pudina chai is a perfect winter beverage that is soothing, warming and keeps throat infections at bay. You can make mint tea with or without milk but at our we love it with milk, just like adrak chai 🙂 Here is how to make best mint chai with milk at home 🙂
During winters occasionally I skip my afternoon coffee and fix myself a cuppa strong tea. I never drink plain chai and it has to be flavored for me. I usually make masala chai or ginger tea or this mint tea. Few more favorite teas at home are chocolate tea, jaggery tea, tandoori chai etc.
This mint tea is something I have been making since my teens. Whenever I make tea at home I add some tulsi leaves, pudina leaves or lemon grass along with cardamom and ginger. However these days I make mint tea only with pudina or mint leaves and ginger for sharp flavor.
Herbs like mint, tulsi, lemon grass are very good for health especially during winters. I also sometimes add rose petals, omavalli or ashwagandha leaves.
You make these teas like tisane that is just herbs steeped in water or add milk like Indian chai. I usually make kahwa and saffron tea, cumin tea without milk.
We like this mint tea a bit milky so I add more milk here compared to regular chai. You can easily reduce the quantity of milk for stronger tea.
This mint tea tastes so good and you will love it at the first sip. The flavor of fresh mint leaves is so refreshing and warming.
You can serve mint tea with evening snacks like sabudana vada, paneer pizza, cutlet, pakoda, bread balls, veg puff, veg rolls, cheese balls, paneer pakora etc.
This tea is actually good for kids too. You can just steep mint leaves in water, add milk and sugar for kids but I usually add a wee bit of tea leaves too for my kid.
This Mint Tea Recipe Is
Refreshing, soothing & warming
Delicious, Flavorful & so good
Has loads of health benefits
Vegetarian & gluten free
Can be made vegan by using non dairy milk.
To make mint tea use fresh and tender mint leaves. Organic mint leaves are the best or simply you can pluck few leaves from your kitchen garden as I did.
If the mint leaves are from market, make sure to clean and rinse them thoroughly. Soak them in salted water for 5 minutes or so before using in any recipe.
For best tasting pudina chai use finest tea leaves. I have used very good loose tea from ooty. If you wish you can sue cardamom tea or even a pinch of this tea masala powder to pep the flavors. However we like mint tea just with ginger.
You can steep the mint leaves in water as long or brief as you wish. For intense mint flavor simmer the leaves in water for around 7 minutes. For lighter flavor just 3-4 minutes will do.
How To Make Mint Tea With Milk
Combine 6-7 fresh mint leaves, 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger in 1/2 cup water.
Bring to a boil and then simmer for 3-7 minutes as per preference.
Add 2 teaspoons tea leaves and simmer for 2 more minutes.
Add 1/2 cup milk and simmer for a minute.
Strain, add sugar to taste and mix well.
Serve mint tea immediately. You can serve with roasted makhana, chivda, mixture etc.
Mint Tea For Kids
This pudina chai is a very good monsoon beverage for everyone including kids. While making this tea for kids you can leave out tea leaves if you wish or you can add just 1/2 teaspoon tea leaves for one serving.
If you must you can also use decaffeinated tea leaves for kids.
Tips For Making Mint Tea
- Use fresh and tender mint leaves for best flavor
- The quality and flavor of mint leaves varies from place to place so use more or less leaves as per the taste.
- If fresh mint leaves or not available use 1/2 teaspoon mint powder for one serving.
- Add more or less milk as per taste.
- To make vegan mint tea just replace dairy milk with almond or soy milk
Health Benefits Of Mint Tea
- Mint leaves are excellent immunity boosters’and helps in fighting infection during monsoons
- Pudina leaves are good for treating bloating and indigestion
- Prevents nausea and relives stress
- Good for fighting common cold and fever.
You Might Also Like
I hope you will try this mint tea recipe and enjoy as much as we did. P
Mint Tea Recipe
Mint Tea (Indian Pudina Chai)
1 CUP = 250 ml
- 6 mint leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons tea leaves
- 1/2 cup milk use non dairy for vegan tea
- sugar to taste
- Combine 6-7 fresh mint leaves, 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger in 1/2 cup water
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for 3-7 minutes as per preference.
- Add 2 teaspoons tea leaves and simmer for 2 more minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup milk and simmer for a minute
- Strain, add sugar to taste and mix well.
- Serve mint tea immediately.
- You can double the recipe or halve it
- Use sweetener of your choice like stevia, honey or cane sugar.
Can you please share recipe of perfect Coffee with Milk and any accompaniment like Mint or Ginger? Please I don’t want Filter Coffee! I prefer with Instant Coffee.