Aloo beans ki sabzi is a traditional Punjabi side dish with French beans and potatoes. An easy vegan gluten free, no onion garlic side dish that you can make within 30 minutes. Potatoes and beans are two most used veggies worldwide. Here in this Punjabi dish they come together as a delicious and humble side dish.
Aloo beans ki sabzi is known aloo phali ki sabzi in Punjab. Aloo means potatoes and phali means French beans. In this recipe you basically cook aloo and beans together and season them mildly. It is an easy recipe that you can make in 30 minutes and goes very well with rice and roti.
Potato is one tuber vegetable that often appears in our menu. You will find me making easy potato side dish like potato curry, potato fry, aloo gobi, aloo jeera, potato poriyal, aloo bhindi at least once a week. Potatoes pair up so well many vegetables and here it does wonderfully with French beans.
Whenever I buy beans I make parupusili or beans poriyal first and I add the remaining ones in sambar, fried rice, pulao or make this tasty beans aloo. This is a top favorite at our home and sauteed beans tastes so delicious in this recipe. I also make an equally delicious continental sauteed beans with almonds sometimes.
Coming to this aloo beans this is a very versatile yet easy side dish that tastes wonderful with dal fry, palak dal, lasooni dal, plain paratha, tandoori roti, ajwain roti etc. Sometimes I serve this as snack to my kid along with some juice.
The best part about aloo beans ki sabzi is it is vegan, gluten free and you don’t need onion or garlic for this. It is a delicious dry curry that you can also use as sandwich filling or wrap filling.
Also unlike most recipes for aloo beans here we need just 2 tablespoons oil for frying the veggies. We are not deep frying here. You can further reduce the oil if you wish by roasting the veggies in low flame for more time.
This Aloo Beans Recipe Is
Easy, quick & simple
Delicious, flavorful and wholeosme
Vegan & gluten free
No onion garlic recipe
Mildly spiced kid friendly
To make aloo beans you just need few ingredients. Apart from potatoes and beans you will just need salt, chili powder and a pinch of garam masala. There is not even tadka in this recipe.
You can vary the spices here and instead of red chili powder you can paprika or pepper powder. Instead of garam masala powder you can use pav bhaji masala or just a dash of roasted cumin and coriander powder.
How To Make Aloo Beans Recipe
1. Rinse, peel and chop the potatoes into wedges. Rinse again well in water and soak in water for 15 minutes. This step is to eliminate starch and thus to make them crispy while frying with less oil.
2. Same way rinse, remove tough strings and cut the beans in the same size of potato wedges.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a pan. Drain water thoroughly from aloo and add it to the hot oil.
4. Cook in low flame for 8-12 minutes or until they are almost cooked and crispy.
5. The potatoes are now well cooked and crispy.
6. Now add the chopped beans and mix well. Add spice powders and salt. Saute well in medium flame until beans are well cooked and done.
7. Serve aloo beans warm or hot.
Tips For Making Aloo Beans
- Select fresh new potatoes that hold up shape and fry well. They have less starch and don’t soak up much oil. Also soaking the potatoes in water and rinsing off the starchy water helps in proper frying.
- Select fresh and tender beans as they cook faster and tastes delicious on sauteing and aloo beans tastes delicious.
- Use a good cast iron pan for uniform cooking of aloo and beans.
- I recommend you slow cook this recipe in open pan. If you cover the pan the veggies will sweat and the texture will be compromised. It is an easy recipe that does not require lot of bay sitting. Just add the ingredients, minimize the flame and stir occasionally.
- You can replace bean with capsicum in this recipe and make aloo capsicum.
- You can double or halve the aloo beans recipe.
- Use mustard oil for the signature taste and flavor. I do not recommend olive oil in this recipe.
More Dry Curry Recipes
I hope you will try this aloo beans recipe and enjoy as much as we did. P
Aloo Beans Recipe
Aloo Beans Ki Sabzi Recipe
- 2 large potatoes peeled and cut into thin wedges
- 2 cups beans chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil mustard or groundnut or vegetable
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- salt to taste
- Rinse, peel and chop the potatoes into wedges. Rinse again well in water and soak in water for 15 minutes. This step is to eliminate starch and thus to make them crispy while frying with less oil.
- Same way rinse, remove tough strings and cut the beans in the same size of potato wedges.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a pan. Drain water thoroughly from aloo and add it to the hot oil.
- Cook in low flame for 8-12 minutes or until they are almost cooked and crispy.
- The potatoes are now well cooked and crispy.
- Now add the chopped beans and mix well. Add spice powders and salt. Saute well in medium flame until beans are well cooked and done.
- Serve aloo beans warm or hot.
- you can add more or less of potatoes or beans as per taste
- You can replace beans with flat beans or capsicum
- The recipe can be doubled.