Last updated on November 7th, 2018
Chana dal fry recipe with step by step photos. Easy and healthy chana dal recipe to serve with rice and roti. Chana dal is the Hindi name for Bengal gram. It is obtained from kala chana or black chickpeas. Split skinned chickpeas is known chana dal or Bengal gram dal. Gram flour or besan is made by powdering chana dal or bengal gram.
Chana dal is protein packed wholesome food used widely in Indian recipes. Chana dal is also rich in calcium, folate and zinc. It has a slightly sweet nutty taste that goes well with Indian recipes preparations. In north Indian cuisine chana dal is used in making chana dal fry, chana dal paratha, chana dal pulao, halwa etc. In south Indian cuisine chana dal is used in making paruppu poli, masala vada, paruppu usili, idli podi, dal dosa, adai, chutney recipes.
Now this North Indian chana dal is a Punjabi recipe. It is easy healthy everyday dal from Punjabi cuisine. Typical Punjabi spices along with onion and tomatoes are used in this chana dal recipe. This north Indian style chana dal recipes tastes best with jeera rice or plain steamed basmati rice too. This is similar to Sanjeev Kapoor’s chana dal tadka recipe.
To make chana dal recipe I suggest you soak the chana dal for at least 3 hours. Soaking makes the chana dal easy to digest. Also it avoids that stomach pain and bloating due to gas. Chana dal needs more time to cook compared to moong dal or toor dal. So soak it in hot water for at least an hour to speed up the cooking. Chana dal is rich in fiber and lowers the cholesterol. Chana dal is low in glycemix index and suitable for people with diabetics. It is low in fat too.
In this chana dal recipe I have used typical dal fry tempering ingredients. Simple everyday spices with a dash of garam masala makes this chana dal tasty and flavorful. Here I have made this chana dal fry easily in pressure cooker. I am adding steps for how to make chana dal fry without pressure cookere too.
To make bengal gram fry in a pot:
1. Bring 5 cups of water to a boil
2. Add soaked and drained chana dal and mix well. Cover and cook in medium flame for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes.
3. Add more water if required while cooking.
How to make chana dal recipe with step by step photos.
Making chana dal:
Soak chana dal in plenty of water for 3 hours. You can also soak the lentils in hot water for an hour.
Take the drained chana dal in a pressure cooker. Add all the other ingredients mentioned under pressure cooking the chana dal.
Pressure cook for up to 8-9 whistles.
Once the pressure is released mash coarsely. If you want thick dal then simmer for 5 minutes.
Tempering the chana dal:
Heat 2 teaspoons ghee or oil in a small pan.
Temper with cumin seeds, curry leaves and dried red chilies
Add garam masala powder, turmeric powder and saute for few seconds.
Add to the prepared dal and mix well. Serve chana dal hot with rice or roti.
Chana dal recipe or Bengal gram fry recipe card below:
- To pressure cook chana dal
- 3/4 cup chana dal or Bengal gram or kadalai paruppu
- 3 cups water
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 to mato finely chopped
- 2-3 green chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
- To temper the chana dal
- 2 teaspoons ghee OR oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 3 dried red chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Making chana dal:
- Soak chana dal in plenty of water for 3 hours. You can also soak the lentils in hot water for an hour.
- Take the drained chana dal in a pressure cooker. Add all the other ingredients mentioned under pressure cooking the chana dal.
- Pressure cook for up to 8-9 whistles.
- Once the pressure is released mash coarsely. If you want thick dal then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Tempering the chana dal:
- Heat 2 teaspoons ghee or oil in a small pan.
- Temper with cumin seeds, curry leaves and dried red chilies
- Add garam masala powder, turmeric powder and saute for few seconds.
- Add to the prepared dal and mix well. Serve chana dal hot with rice or roti.
1. You can 2 cloves garlic along with ginger.
2. Increase or decrease spice level as per taste