Veg rolls recipe- bakery style rolls with mixed veggies spiced and shaped into rolls and further fried until golden and crispy. These veg rolls are so popular in local bakeries here but they are so easy to make at home. Unlike spring rolls you don’t need to make or buy wrappers and stuff. Just steam, saute, shape and bake. Tastes best with any dipping sauce or spicy green chutney. Here is how to make easy veg rolls at home with step by step photos.
Have you been the popular south Indian bakeries known as Iyengar bakeries? I just love these bakeries and there are an array of popular dishes like butter cake, veg puff, honey cake, veg cutlet, masala toast, khara buns, rava cookies, coconut cookies over there.
These crispy veg rolls are one more popular snack from the loacal bakeries that we would gorge. Piping hot rolls just out of the oven where also out of the world tasty :). It was so easy for us to loose count and keep gorging 🙂
Over the years I started to make these veg rolls at home. It was really easy to guess the ingredients and method, what years of cooking do to you 🙂 You easily guess the ingredients in any dish 🙂
Coming to this veg roll it has a base of mashed potatoes with a mix of sauteed veggies. The whole mixture is seasoned and then you shape it into rolls. Finally you bake these rolls in hot oven for 15-18 minutes. To make very crispy golden rolls you will have to brush oil generously on both rolls and baking sheet.
These veg rolls tastes so good when you serve them piping hot with espresso or filter coffee or tea. For kids you can serve with sweet chutney along with hot chocolate, badam milk, rose milk or some milkshakes.
This Veg Rolls Recipe Is
Delicious, crispy & flavorful
tastes just like the ones from bakeries
Vegan & gluten free
Baked, low oil
best tea time snack
Kid friendly snack.
To make veg rolls recipe at home you will need potatoes and some more veggies like carrot, capsicum, cabbage etc. The spice powders are the regular ones you use in day to day cooking.
Making veg rolls recipe at home is easy and you can tale total control over ingredients and methods. You can use loads of veggies and bake the rolls instead of deep frying them.
I sometimes make baked veg rolls and sometimes I shallow fry them. These rolls are healthy and tasty and a great finger food or snack for toddlers and kids.
You can use any of your favorite veggies and make these rolls. I have used all the veggies I had handy.
To get a very crispy crust it is important to coat the shaped veg rolls in bread crumbs or poha crumbs. I use poha crumbs in my cutlet, patties and tikki recipes as it yields very crispy crust and healthy too. Poha mean rice flakes.
To make poha crumbs just dry roast the rice flakes well and then pulse in your mixer few times until it resembles bread crumbs.
Which Veggies Are Best For Veg Rolls Recipe?
To make veg rolls recipe, very finely chopped carrots, cabbage and baby corns are used here. I have used mashed potatoes as binding agent.
There is no maida or corn flour used in this veg rolls recipe. It is a healthier homemade snack especially for toddlers and kids. Also this is an easy to snack or finger food that attracts them. Also check paneer rolls, corn fritters recipes
Can I make Veg Rolls Ahead and Bake Later?
Yes you can. You can make the rolls and refrigerate for 2 days or freeze up to a month and bake or fry as required.
Prep the veggies, saute and shape into rolls. Coat with poha or bread crumbs and arrange in a tray. cover and refrigerate.
To freeze, transfer the thoroughly cold rolls into a freezer box or bag. Deep freeze.
Just remove the veg rolls from freezer when required and thaw for 5 minutes. Bake or shallow fry.
How To Make Veg Rolls Recipe
1.Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a pan. Add minced ginger garlic and finely chopped green chilies and saute well. Add the chopped veggies and saute in high flame for 5-7 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes.
2. Take the boiled potatoes in a bowl and mash well.
3. Add the sauteed veggies, 2 tablespoons gram flour, salt, cumin powder and chaat masala powder.
4. Mix well.
3. Preheat oven at 180C. Take the veggie mixture and divide into 20 small balls.
4. Shape each ball into a small roll. Roll the balls over pulsed rice flakes or bread crumbs.
5. Arrange the rolls in a baking tray. Give a quick spray of oil. Apply oil all over the rolls liberally with basting brush
6. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and flip all the rolls. Bake for 10 more minutes. The top should be hard and crispy with golden color. Serve veg rolls hot with green chutney.
You Might Also Like
I hope you will try this veg rolls recipe and enjoy as much as we did. P
Veg rolls recipe | Bakery style veg rolls recipe
1 CUP = 250 ml
- 1 1/2 cups very finely chopped mixed veggies
- 2 medium potatoes boiled and mashed
- 2 tablespoons gram flour
- 1 tablespoon oil + little more for brushing
- 2 green chilies finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 cup rice flakes pulsed into fine crumbs or bread crumbs
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a pan. Add minced ginger garlic and finely chopped green chilies and saute well. Add the chopped veggies and saute in high flame for 5-7 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes
- Take the boiled potatoes in a bowl and mash well. Add the sauteed veggies, 2 tablespoons gram flour, salt, cumin powder and chaat masala powder. Mix well.
- Preheat oven at 180C. Take the veggie mixture and divide into 20 small balls.
- Shape each ball into a small roll. Roll the balls over pused rice flakes or bread crumbs.
- Arrange the rolls in a baking tray. Give a quick spray of oil. You can also apply oil with a basting brush.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and flip all the rolls. Bake for 10 more minutes. The top should be hard and crispy with golden color. Serve veg rolls hot with green chutney.
2 You can even shallow or deep fry the rolls. Here I baked one batch and shallow fried the next batch.