Last updated on June 22nd, 2019
White sauce pizza recipe is a delicious take on classic veg pizza that uses a creamy white sauce in place of regular pizza sauce. A subtle, rich and delicately flavored white sauce pizza is perfect on days when you want to try something different. This pizza is slightly different from pizza bianca yet very delicious. Read on for full recipe with step by step photos.
I love to try different pizza recipes at home and this white sauce pizza recipe was my recent try. I have read a lot about New York style white pizza and finally made it last week.
First I saw this white sauce pizza in some videos and liked the idea of using white sauce as pizza sauce. I have already tried white sauce pasta, it is a super hit recipe both at home and this blog 🙂
We all like the rich taste of white sauce, though not very healthy we can have it as occasional indulgence.
I should say this pizza was such a pleasant change for us. The white sauce used in this pizza is subtle yet flavorful and lets the flavor of toppings shine through.
A big hearty slice will go a long way and you can easily serve this for dinner or lunch.
What Is White Sauce Pizza?
White sauce pizza is a type of New York style pizza where we use white sauce as pizza sauce. In traditional white pizza no sauce is used. It is just a spread of olive oil with herbs.
But in white sauce pizza recipe we use a freshly made homemade white sauce as spread. You can even use store bought bechamel sauce.
How Do We Make White Sauce For Pizza?
To make classic white sauce we need just 3 main ingredients.
- plain flour
- Boiled and cooled milk
Roast the plain flour well in butter first. Roast in low flame until the flour is well cooked and turns aromatic.
Now slowly add the boiled and cooled milk and stir continuously. Maintain lowest flame.
The sauce will thicken and reduce as you stir. Once the sauce coats the back of the ladle switch off the flame.
Now you can add salt and preferred seasoning. I have used pepper powder and dried Italian herbs.
You can grated parmesan cheese and mix well if you prefer. Cool the sauce and keep it in airtight container until use.
This white sauce can be stored in refrigerator for a week.
This white sauce can be used in making
What Toppings Can We Add On White Sauce Pizza?
The flavor of white sauce is very mild and delicate.
So I prefer to add some spicy peppers as topping. You can also add jalapenos. Sweet corn, pineapple and onions are also very good in this recipe.
Once Baked just before serving garnish with fresh basil leaves.
Recipe Notes and Some Tips For Making White Sauce Pizza:
You can use whole wheat flour or plain flour for making pizza base. You can even use any gluten free base.
click here for
Make sure to cook white sauce in low flame to avoid burning. Also use boiled and cooled milk else the sauce will curdle.
If you don’t prefer very mild flavors you can mix 2-3 teaspoons of regular pizza sauce into white sauce and use in pizza.
More Pizza Recipes:
How To Make White Sauce Pizza Recipe Step by Step
Preparing White Sauce:
Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a pan. Once the butter is melted add flour and saute very well.
Add 1 cup boiled and cooled milk, stir vigorously to avoid lumps.
Once the sauce is thick add salt, pepper powder, dried basil and oregano. Mix well and set aside.
Preparing White Sauce Pizza:
1. Prepare pizza dough as mentioned here or here and rest for 1.5 hours.
3. Preheat oven at 190C. Grease and dust a pizza plate. Take the doubled dough and punch it gently. Roll the dough into a circle of desired thickness and place on the pizza plate.
4. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the prepared white sauce and mix well.
5. Spread the white sauce over the prepared base.
6. Arrange the toppings. Top with grated cheese. Drizzle some olive oil and pizza seasoning. Bake in the hot oven for 20-22 minutes until the cheese melts and top turns golden. Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Slice and serve white sauce pizza.
White Sauce Pizza Recipe
white sauce pizza recipe | veg pizza with white sauce
For pizza base and topping
- 1 recipe pizza base
- Chopped bell peppers onions for topping
- 80-100 grams grated cheese
- Pizza seasoning as needed
For White Sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 1 cup milk boiled and cooled
- pepper powder
- dried basil
- dried oregano
Preparing White Sauce:
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a pan. Once the butter is melted add flour and saute very well.
- Add 1 cup boiled and cooled milk, stir vigorously to avoid lumps.
- Once the sauce is thick add salt, pepper powder, dried basil and oregano. Mix well and set aside
Preparing White Sauce Pizza:
- Prepare pizza dough and rest for 1.5 hours.
- Preheat oven at 190C. Grease and dust a pizza plate. Take the doubled dough and punch it gently. Roll the dough into a circle of desired thickness and place on the pizza plate.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the prepared white sauce and mix well.
- Spread the white sauce over the prepared base.
- Arrange the toppings. Top with grated cheese. Drizzle some olive oil and pizza seasoning. Bake in the hot oven for 20-22 minutes until the cheese melts and top turns golden. Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Slice and serve white sauce pizza.
2. You can add some cheese in white sauce too.